Random aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adantelaima

My daughter and myself are new to having a baby beardie. I adopted an older one a few months back from somebody who wasn't taking care of her. Then my daughter wanted one. So we went to the pet store and adopted one for her. It has it's own spot by itself and everything new. We have had him since middle to end of September. No problems whatsoever. Loved being held and pet. We have been feeding him well and interacting with him everyday. But randomly one day he would be jumpy and run away from us. So we left him alone thinking he may be shedding. Well he has done shed but now flattens out and goes out of his way to try to bite use everytime we try to pick him up. Now my daughter wants nothing to do with him cause he keeps trying to bite and run away. It's been like this for a little over a week now. Not sure what to do anymore. I've tried popping a treat in his mouth when he opens it and it doesnt even notice the food and still just is locked on biting us. Please help us, my daughter is so broken from her buddy being so mean. Thank you.

Adantelaima

Original Poster
OviDear":1seiqwte said:
It sounds like he's stressed, how often are you holding him? Also can you send a picture of him? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

We were holding him everyday. I think the longest we went not holding him was 4 days do to working so much and her being at family house. But I still feed him everyday and changed his water.

I'm trying to upload pictures and it's not allowing me to post once i upload on that page. I'm using my phone.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Usually young beardies can sometimes be a bit flighty as they sometimes see you as a predator. I'd say just give him time to calm down and let him be but try to hand feed him with tongs maybe before hand feeding him.
Can you go over his setup?
Enclosure size -
Substrate -
Basking spot temp -
Cool side temp -
Nightime temp -
What type of uvb? -
What are you feeding him? -
And are you using anything for night time heat?

Adantelaima

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2bmccfg4 said:
Usually young beardies can sometimes be a bit flighty as they sometimes see you as a predator. I'd say just give him time to calm down and let him be but try to hand feed him with tongs maybe before hand feeding him.
Can you go over his setup?
Enclosure size -
Substrate -
Basking spot temp -
Cool side temp -
Nightime temp -
What type of uvb? -
What are you feeding him? -
And are you using anything for night time heat?

I'm really not sure of the temp. The person at the pet store was the one that actually picked out the lights for us. I know one light is a desert UVB fluorescent bulb thats 13 watts. The basking light i think is between 90 to 100. I give him crickets and mustard greens everyday. He's in a 10 gallon enclosure. And we dont use a red light at night. We live in Florida so it stays pretty warm at night.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Yikes...poor thing, never ever let an pet store employee pick out anything for your animal unless they know what their doing. Your going to have to order a digital thermometer or a temp gun, i like using temp guns because their easier and more accurate. Guessing its a coil or compact bulb, your going to need a zoomed reptisun t5 10.0 tube light, and if thats the basking wattage then your probably frying the poor thing alive in that 10 gallon, a 10 gallon is honestly not suitable for any age of bearded dragon, get him into a 20 or 40 gallon and he'll be able to cool down more, if you go with a 40 you can use the lights you have but if you go with a 20 you probably need to elevate it up.

Adantelaima

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":3rxbw6zc said:
Yikes...poor thing, never ever let an pet store employee pick out anything for your animal unless they know what their doing. Your going to have to order a digital thermometer or a temp gun, i like using temp guns because their easier and more accurate. Guessing its a coil or compact bulb, your going to need a zoomed reptisun t5 10.0 tube light, and if thats the basking wattage then your probably frying the poor thing alive in that 10 gallon, a 10 gallon is honestly not suitable for any age of bearded dragon, get him into a 20 or 40 gallon and he'll be able to cool down more, if you go with a 40 you can use the lights you have but if you go with a 20 you probably need to elevate it up.

Is that what is causing his aggression? The lady told me she has 2 beardies of her own.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It could be possible, with it being in a very bad condition right now. I feel bad for those beardies if she told you to get the stuff you have for him. Usually i ask quite a lot of questions if a person at a petstore, or anyone has a beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom