Bathing/positive experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I make taking a bath a positive experience for my beardie? He doesn’t seem to like the water very much but I plan on bathing him at least once a day because I want to train him to poop only in the water. How can I make him calm down and be okay with being in the water?

Savora

Hatchling Member
Some beardies just don't really like the water. Maybe your beardie doesn't like one aspect of the water--do you leave the faucet running while he's still in the bath?; is the water lukewarm to the inside of your wrist so that it's not too hot or too cold for him?; does the water only reach his shoulders, and no higher?

Perhaps you could try to train him to poop on something equally easy to clean up, like a linoleum floor.

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
I make it so that the water is quite warm but not hot; it is definitely warmer than a Human's body temperature though. I also use a dedicated tub that's only a few times bigger than Iggy himself and fill it up such so that the water-level meets his shoulders. Iggy can see over the edge of the tub as well and observe that he's not trapped at all. Meeting all this criteria seems to make for a most happy Iggy who'll close his eyes a few times during bath-time with how relaxed he is :) Otherwise, he'll definitely let me know how unhappy he is by trying to jump out.

Savora":25kz218r said:
Some beardies just don't really like the water. Maybe your beardie doesn't like one aspect of the water--do you leave the faucet running while he's still in the bath?; is the water lukewarm to the inside of your wrist so that it's not too hot or too cold for him?; does the water only reach his shoulders, and no higher?

Perhaps you could try to train him to poop on something equally easy to clean up, like a linoleum floor.

Yes, leaving the faucet running can definitely scare your Beardie. It sometimes causes my Iggy to puff up his beard in fright if I do such a thing nearby him.

ejuncker16

Original Poster
Actually I use a thermometer to check the water temperature and make sure it is not too hot/cold. I also have a designated clear plastic tub that is not much bigger than my beardie so he can see through it and I don’t leave the water running. Maybe he just doesn’t like water. :/ thanks for the input everyone!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them don't like water, and that's OK. Baths aren't necessary unless they get soiled/smelly and need to be washed off. If they are not enjoyed, then they aren't worth the stress in my opinion.

I use a turkey roasting pan as a bathtub because it's portable, easy to clean, and a good size. I let the water run along the inside of my wrist to test temperature. I set it so it just feels warm on my wrist and that seems to work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom