female beardie digging?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukazombie

today my beardie has started digging around in her substrate, and she also rubs her face in it? she doesn’t seem like she’s about to shed (i also just bathed her yesterday). what she does is dig for a bit and then push the substrate with her nose. is she going to lay? i’m not sure if i should prepare a lay box or if this is something else. thanks

nukazombie

Original Poster
bayoupig5":2avvcczd said:
How old is your beardie? And where do you live? Is it getting cold there?

I have no clue how old she is, she was a rescue from a local reptile store. i'm fairly certain she's an adult, she's about 17 inches long. I live in California so right now the coldest it's been is about 65 F. but it's normally around the low 70's during the day. though it gets dark around 5:00 right now so I'm not sure if that would be affecting anything?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How has her appetite been? It couldn't hurt to give her time in a dig box and see how she responds. If you gently feel her belly can you feel any eggs formed?

bayoupig5

Sub-Adult Member
I have two female beardies. One who is an extreme egg layer and the other not so much. Generally speaking my beadies egg laying season is from mid March to early September. Not sure if it would be likely to have eggs ready to lay now, but this could be a possibility. Also as a note even when my Emmalee is full of eggs 20 or more, I have never been able to feel them, they are way too soft for me to palpate. However, she will generally look a lot more puffy or bloated when egg laden. Appetite for a beardie full of eggs will be way down, and usually for quite some time as once they are full of eggs they are generally not interested in eating.

I generally have a lay box ready in case I see this digging behavior. For a lay box I fill up a clear rubbermaid bin, about 6 inches with sterilized soil and play sand 50/50 mix. You want the mix to be moist so when she digs she is able to produce a small cave or hole to deposit her eggs in. When you put her in the box she may do nothing. I usually leave my females in there for a couple hours....alone. If no eggs are deposited then I return them to their viv. And return them to the box if the digging continues.

However, one of my females will also do this hiding, scratching behavior when she is ready to brumate. She generally will go into her cave in her viv and scratch for a good hour or so before finally deciding to brumate for a while. So this could also be a possibility given that it has been much colder/darker for you. I would suspect that this is what she is trying to do. One of my dragons decided to brumate this weekend after the time change as well. A beardie ready to brumate may have a lower appetite as well. Do you have a cave in her viv that she can go to? Have you noticed lately if she has been using her basking area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom