Leaping lizards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Hi probably a question often asked but... how high can a beardie safely jump/fall? i ask because I put mine on the window ledge to have a look outside (I'm in the UK it's winter so she's not getting out at all) and as soon as I moved away she jumped down about 3 foot. Now my instinct was to catch her but then I thought If I miss and knock her she could land much worse than jumping herself. Anyway I'd like to be able to leave her gazing out occasionally but don't want a broken beardie so does anyone know how good they are at judging their own safe drops? I assume of she didnt think it was safe to jump she wouldn't?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Good question , but yes beardies can get hurt when jumping to a hard surface like wood floor,tile and cement. You might want to put some pillows under the area or an old rolled up blanket.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They will often jump from unsafe distances. I'm not sure why that doesn't seem to register to them. I agree that if it's a hard surface it will help to put down some sort of padding in case it happens again. 3ft isn't that high and shouldn't be a big issue onto a padded surface (my guy has jumped from a chair to carpet several times) but I would do what you can to avoid it from happening. If they land wrong even from a short distance it could cause a sprain or bruising at least.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
thanks for the replies. Think I'll just keep her off the window it'd bad enough trying to teach her to run down my legs to get off the sofa without having to try and find a sign for I'm about to jump off here just for kicks

phobosdthorga

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":xoyjevad said:
They will often jump from unsafe distances. I'm not sure why that doesn't seem to register to them. I agree that if it's a hard surface it will help to put down some sort of padding in case it happens again. 3ft isn't that high and shouldn't be a big issue onto a padded surface (my guy has jumped from a chair to carpet several times) but I would do what you can to avoid it from happening. If they land wrong even from a short distance it could cause a sprain or bruising at least.

"I'm not sure why that doesn't seem to register to them."

*laughs* They do seem a bit special in that regard, yes. I've cared for mine for about 2.5 weeks given today's date and he seems to have now learned in some part that, yes, it actually does hurt if you jump from a great distance of more than a few feet. They do seem to have more brawn than brains at times though. My Iggy, if he's climbing all over me which he is now very comfortable with doing, has learned that it's best to instead climb down my legs, for instance. It surprises me how well they can grip to things like cloth; they're almost gecko-like in that regard.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have a soft chair next to the window and the back holds a soft dog bed to the window sill. Darwin has learned to belly slide down the chair back onto the cushion and then to the ground rather than leaping off from the window sill... most of the time. Ground is carpeted but I rush over to scold him a bit when I hear a thud. He just struts over to his basking lamp and seemingly grins at my panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom