Does My Beardie Hate Me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted previously on here about my beardie Archie's stress marks, and they've since disappeared! :) But, another behavior has emerged that I am fearful about. I have had Archie for 3 weeks now, and for the first few weeks, he was fine when I tried to pick him up. But on those occasions, I gave him baths (which he hates) or let him roam around my room (which he also seemed to hate). Now, whenever I go to feed him or open his cage he jumps, and when I go to feed him or put my hand near him he flattens out, and backs away. I think he is afraid of me? Or perhaps he associates me with bad experiences? These behaviors have caused me to become scared to pick him up, because I don't want him to hate me more than he already does or cause me to drop or hurt him when I try to pick him up or touch him. What can I do to make him calmer around me and calm myself down as well? Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's possible something has him riled up. Do you see signs of an oncoming shed? That can have them agitated for a while but usually subsides after the shed is done. I would go easy around him and not force handling for a bit. If he doesn't like baths I'd avoid giving those too unless he gets stinky/soiled. Maybe try offering some of his bugs by hand and see if it helps him feel less timid around your hands in the tank.

nattiecece

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2au0se9d said:
It's possible something has him riled up. Do you see signs of an oncoming shed? That can have them agitated for a while but usually subsides after the shed is done. I would go easy around him and not force handling for a bit. If he doesn't like baths I'd avoid giving those too unless he gets stinky/soiled. Maybe try offering some of his bugs by hand and see if it helps him feel less timid around your hands in the tank.
He just finished his shed yesterday. I was bathing him to help with the shed, so I think I'll stop for a while. I feed him all of his vegetables and fruits by hands, would that work instead of his crickets?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK. It might have been the shed then. Hopefully he'll be back to normal soon. Yeah you can hand feed veges too. The idea is just to get him associating you with food and good things rather than being a super big imposing figure. This tends to be less of an issue as they get older though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom