Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, my bearded dragon Cecil has recently gone into brumation(?) The reason I'm a bit confused if this is brumation or if he's just sick is I still take him out to eat in the morning, and he eats about two dozen crickets (he's six months old), and I put him back into his cage afterward and he sleeps almost the entire day away. He's pooping normally and his stool is fine. But sleeping the entire day away on and off is a little odd, because I thought all bearded dragons just entirely slept the day away, not on and off? This has been going on for two weeks so far.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Usually in burmation beardies sleep off and on. Sometimes sleeping entirely for a couple days before basking or just coming out to eat or wonder. Its not unheard of young beardies doing it, but you may want to take a fecal test just in case. I doubt its setup related but could you tell me how his setup is?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
If husbandry is top notch, I would get a fecal sample done to make sure nothing serious might be going on. I did for my beardie he is the same age range somewhere around 6/7 months. Everything for him slowing down so went ahead and got the fecal sample done and it came back moderate pinworms. I really glad I did so now I don't have to worry as much. Better to have peace of mind than to worry :D

sunskittle

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":1wgxw4un said:
Usually in burmation beardies sleep off and on. Sometimes sleeping entirely for a couple days before basking or just coming out to eat or wonder. Its not unheard of young beardies doing it, but you may want to take a fecal test just in case. I doubt its setup related but could you tell me how his setup is?

i recently just changed his uvb bulb 150 (26w), i believe (dont quote me on this, not entirely sure ) a 45 gallon tank, 100w basking spot +75%. ive always had his conditions like this and ive always made sure if its too hot to turn the basking spot off for a few minutes while i take him out to have him cool off. im new to taking care of a beardie but ive done my research. his stool is fine, hes not constipated or anything, but im still just concerned... :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How far is the UVB150 from the basking area? Is it in a dome or reflective fixture? They aren't much use beyond about 8'' so 6-8'' is the best distance for those bulbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom