DOES MY BEARDED DRAGON HATE ME?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyleal

I got a brand new Bearded Dragon about a week ago. For the first couple of days, he was absolutely great. He ate well, including eating his veggies, hit temps were great, and he was generally really docile. He has Shed about twice now and I gave him a couple of baths to help the shed go better, which they did help with. However, he has started acting really strange lately. He will do this thing where he follows my hand with an open mouth and puffing out his neck (though the neck part does not turn black to indicate bearding). Sometimes he's completely fine and doesn't react whatsoever to my hand, but other times he is very upset with it. Is this his personality? Should I take him back to the store and get a new one, or is it something that I can easily fix? I just want my beardie to like me, and this behavior does not seem in line with everything i've heard about their personalties. Any advice, tips, or answers are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I wouldnt take any bearded dragon back to a petstore. Think of this like the beardie is your child or something, if your child was mean to you, you wouldnt just put him up for adoption. However it could be he just doesnt trust you anymore. He probably sees you as a predator and is scared so hes trying to scare you away, and everytime it works he will do it again and again. Dont back away from him, bearded dragon bites dont hurt at all so if he bites you dont freak out, but dont exactly let him bite you either. I'd suggest hand feeding him all his food so he can learn your not going to eat him.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Some get really grumpy when in shed , imagine how you'd feel if you were itchy all over for days on end.

Give him some space and every time he opens his mouth at you , pop a food treat into it , he'll soon either get so full he'll keep it shut or he'll start to associate you with yummy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom