5 Month old beardie in winter slow down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Khaleesi is 5 months (maybe 6?) old. For about a week and half now, she has been hiding in her cave a lot more than usual. She has been eating like crazy still and will occasionally come out of her cave later in the day, colorful and curious, but will eventually slip back in her cave after eating a few supers. Temps are always around 108-115F and her UVB tube is almost at it's 5 month mark. So as far as I know, my husbandry is alright. She isn't losing any weight either and her stool is normal with no discoloration or anything. And other than sleeping in her cave, she shows no signs of fatigue or laziness. Is it normal for a dragon her age to go into winter slow down? My other dragon that is around the same age as her as well as weight does not show the same behavior as her in any way. She is still eating like crazy and when she does decide to pop out of her cave, she usually likes to run around on the couch or the floor.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Since she's so active and alert for part of the day, she is probably OK. If she wants to have a nap in the afternoon or sleep in a bit, I'd let her. Just keep the lights on the same schedule and let her do her thing as long as she doesn't show any signs of illness including weight loss.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Sometimes beardies that young do burmate. So theres nothing to worry about if she does as long as she has enough weight. Just a questions are the only things your feeding her superworms? Or is that just all she'll take at the moment?

HoleeJuanCanoli

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2m6xk68w said:
Sometimes beardies that young do burmate. So theres nothing to worry about if she does as long as she has enough weight. Just a questions are the only things your feeding her superworms? Or is that just all she'll take at the moment?

It's been a while since I've used this website so I hope I'm replying correctly. Supers at the moment are the what I'm feeding her since I don't like to use crickets and my dubia colony is a little behind schedule. She is eating a ton of Collard Greens and the occasional blueberry as a treat (1x a week). But yes, supers are the only insect she is eating for now.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, just wanted to mention that she may be hiding because the temps. are too high. Top basking temp. of 105 is best. What are the temps. on the cool side and how are you measuring them ?

HoleeJuanCanoli

Original Poster
AHBD":2bee41l9 said:
Hi there, just wanted to mention that she may be hiding because the temps. are too high. Top basking temp. of 105 is best. What are the temps. on the cool side and how are you measuring them ?

Yeah I’m having a tiny bit of trouble getting the temps down. I’m using a 75w bulb right now and it’s still giving off too much I guess. I’m using a digital thermometer with a sensing bulb. Cool side never gets above 85F

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom