Black Bearding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLB85

My little guy is 4 months old and just had a big shed. Since then he's had what looks like a slight black beard. He's never had this before, so I don't know if it's actually black beard. It's most intense in the mornings/early afternoons before he gets out to play. He's usually quite dark and basking until then. I know they go dark to absorb more heat, so I'm not sure if his beard is just following suit, or if there's something bothering him. Once I take him out, he goes much brighter, his belly goes white and his beard gets lighter too. The first two pics show this black beard, but it seems to be contained to stripe on the bottom of his beard. The second two pics show it lighter, which is after he's come out to play, almost like it's going a bit orange. I know as they become adults their beards can get brighter, so I'm wondering if this is the beginning of his beard changing colour, or if he's just being perma-grumpy? :lol:

93324-5930934469.jpg
93324-5281576049.jpg
93324-3410455827.jpg
93324-8750968137.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That doesn't look too bad. Maybe some morning grump or just generally darkening to warm up. Not really a concern, especially since it brightens back up after a bit. When they get mad they can make their whole beard go really jet black. It can do that for an extended period of time (hours, days) if they are sick.

KLB85

Original Poster
Yea, I've been keeping an eye on it the past few days and ever since his shed, it's become a consistent thing. I've checked his temps, so he's not cold or too hot, and he's always fed, so he's not hungry. Today his beard was blacker than the pictures (still not full black beard though) but as soon as I took him out, his "stress lines" and black beard disappear, he gets a white belly and he turns bright red/orange. Do you think he's just showing his distaste of waiting to be taken out? Even once I put him back after he's been out, he stays pretty bright until lights out. It's only darkness until he gets out.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it could be an indication that he is happier out of the tank. Try setting up a portable basking spot for him outside of the tank and see if he takes to it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Half hearted BB like I got from Toothless today (he's very uncomfortable and itchy and grumpy ATM because he's in mega-shed here there and everywhere - and it's been several months since his last she - he's 2 yr old next week) , add being hormonal (it's mid spring here), so he is giving me attitude lately.

What you have is a stroppy adolescent boy beardie who is asserting himself.

He's just telling you "I am not amused , do as I tell you Two Leg !!"

KLB85

Original Poster
Lol! I didn't know when he would be considered an adolescent, because I had read that they can get attitude when they get to that age. He's 4.5 months old, but he's actually become more of a love bug than ever! That last 4-5 nights, he's taken to falling asleep in my arms on the couch. I'll cover him with a little blanket and a heating pad on the lowest setting to keep him warm. He seems to love it! He has continued to black beard in the morning, but as soon as I take him out, he consistently turns bright red and his black beard goes away. I think he just wants to come out and that's his way of saying, take me out hooman slave! :lol:

I'm sorry to hear your guy is uncomfortable, I can imagine he's super grump with his shed. Sounds like some nice warm baths will give him some relief :)

I just found out Tilman was a boy a month ago - do boys go into a hormonal grump in the spring regularly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom