Change in season/Change in behaviour???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Hello all. Im not sure if this should be posted here so please feel free to change forums if not.
FIRST TIME Beardie mom so obviously everything worries me lol.
Gretchen will be 9 months old on the 21st of October and shes a big healthy baby girl. I got her from a fabulous breader out in Toronto Canada. Over the past few weeks (as the temps here in Montreal Canada) change ive noticed a change in her behaviour and appetite.
She's in a 48X24X24 Atasuki front opening enclosure with an elevated basking are (see pictures at the end of post). Her basking area is 11-11.5 inches away from her 75W basking spot light and 10.0 T5HO UVB light. Basking spot temps vary between 99-105. Cool end varies from 85-95 and night time temp between 60-70 (a few times this week i have had to put her night heater on as night -time here was 2 degrees Celsius (brrr). She's always been on a 7-7 schedule (12 hrs on 12 hrs off for the lights and shes such a good sleeper. Passes out as soon as her lights go off. She's about 14 inches long and i have not weighed her recently but shes plump lol . Recently ive been finding her very lethargic and some days ill come home from work and shes on her cool side being VERY lazy. some days shell chase her crickets but some days shell wait until they crawl up to her or come close enough so she doesn't have to move much. She barely eats her fruits and veggies unless i hand feed them to her (and even at that sometimes she wot take any). She gets her vitamins everyday. I dont think shes old enough to be laying infertile eggs (ive felt her belly and nothing). Shes toilet trained so every second day she gets a nice warm bath and does her business. I've read about Brumation but i think shes to young for that. SO with that being said, do dragons change as the seasons change (less daylight and colder)?. Should i do anything different with her or her enclosure? Thank you all or your help. i absolutely LOVE this forum you all are so helpful. Here's some pictures below of her recently. Also please note with her full enclosure picture (its old) her uvb light has been slightly moved over to the left so the cool end isn't as dark. Thanks again :)
93727-2012443291.jpg
93727-5171546331.jpg
93727-2004479114.jpg
93727-1964026168.jpg
93727-2036880064.jpg
93727-5739475912.jpg
93727-3924127501.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They certainly do sense seasonal changes and their behavior fluctuates accordingly. This season seems to have more of them acting sluggish (to varying degrees) more than usual. She looks nice and healthy so I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep your lights on the same schedule and keep offering food and water as you would normally but I'd let her do her thing for now.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":rnnpmtwl said:
They certainly do sense seasonal changes and their behavior fluctuates accordingly. This season seems to have more of them acting sluggish (to varying degrees) more than usual. She looks nice and healthy so I wouldn't be too concerned. Keep your lights on the same schedule and keep offering food and water as you would normally but I'd let her do her thing for now.

That's what I figured but good to hear it's "normal" ? thanks CooperDragon

Thirsh

I’m glad to see that I’m not alone in my suspicions of this change in behavior, I noticed my baby girl was doing the same things as yours and I was low key worried but thought about the change in seasons. This forum is great! I don’t have to worry in loneliness over my baby :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I miss the little guys when they sleep all day! I do wonder what the trigger is though. More are down to some degree this fall than I've seen in the past several years. It doesn't seem to be temperature related (Darwin started sleeping when it was 90 outside). Maybe some kind of barometric change they sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom