Normal Signs of Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Sort of a follow-up to this post:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236485&p=1817737#p1817737

Since then, she's still been refusing to wake up on her own, if I didn't wake her up and move her to the heat, she would just sleep through the day. Even when I do put her in the heat, she usually tries to go nap in the corner or under something.

To be clear, when I initially moved into the new apartment, she basically had no light (and slept) for about 24 hours. In addition, the new room she's in is about 12-15 degrees cooler (consistently) than where she was previously. Could the combination of these two factors sort of trigger a brumation reaction?

She's 477g and 1.5 yrs old. I let her eat some bugs today so I'll keep forcing her out until she poops at the least. But otherwise, should I just let her have a few weeks under a blanket?

First time going through this so it's all new to me (if relevant at all)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It could be the cooler environment but there are a LOT of dragons going into some level of brumation recently, including mine. Just keep track of her weight and let her do her thing if her weight is pretty stable. Hopefully it won't last long.

KozmoRox

Hi, we have recently gone through brumation too. It started In August with her appetite diminishing And then the hiding and napping during the day. That lasted for about a month before she wanted to hide/sleep constantly.

I ran here first and got really good advice! I took her lead, and just watched and began weighing every week to be sure she wasn’t sick or losing too much weight. She lost about 20g over 2mos, not bad. And she’s coming back slowly but surely. Down for a day or 2 and up for a few. She’s eating some again, way pickier than before! Ugh! And she’s up 40g!

Just hang in there and watch carefully, it’ll pass ? Kozmo getting some natural warm sunshine this morning!
89207-9639570172.jpg

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just keeping everyone posted...as long as having some additional questions.

It has been just over 3 months since Rey started 'brumating'. When I first put her in she was about 470 grams. As of now she is 456g. Question is, has she been brumating too long? Do I start forcing her out of her hiding? Or do I let her continue doing her thing (Assuming that the steady ~15 gram drop over 3 months isn't considered drastic).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would just let her keep going if she is still sleepy. From what I saw this year Darwin just snapped out of it and returned to his regular routine over the course of a week or so. That is about the same amount of weight loss I saw with him too. I saw about a 4% drop over 3 months and this is even less than that.

Toddzilla1108

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright so a pleasant surprise when I got home just a few minutes ago, Rey was out from under her blanket all by herself! She wouldn't take any water, though.

I weighed her and from my post in the beginning of January, she's somehow gone up 1 gram? :lol:

So in the ~5 months she has gone from 470 to 457 grams (seems a bit low, to be honest). Should I expect her to be snapping back into things over the next week?

Oh, and I've had her for 2 years as of last week! Wooohoo

UXbLSKa.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She's looking great! Hopefully she is up for good now. Look out for her becoming way more active than normal with running around, glass dancing, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom