Dragon won't stay out of cool corner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenren

Hey guys, glad to have found the board.

We got our bearded dragon in November, and she lives in a 40 gallon tank. On one side of the tank is her UV and heating lamp, and the other side is just normal.

Our issue is that she'll get in the cool corner and just stay there. She won't go bask, she won't eat, and she doesn't poo. If I pick her up and move her to her basking rock, she will eventually go eat , but then it's back to the corner.

I've read up on brumation, but she's under a year old and it's been going on for at least a month now.

We feed her complete nutrition pellets, and 30 large crickets about every 10 days. It takes her a while to get up and get the crickets, she doesn't do it as fast as she used to. She gets calcium on her pellets about every week.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. This is our first "beardie", and I want her to have a good life!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old is she ?

how heavy in grams is she ?

Are you north or south of the equator ?
Weather lately ?

Photos of her , the viv showing her set up , and of her lights and substrate .

Basking spot needs to 40 - 43 deg Celsius NEVER HOTTER. See for why : viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

Warm zone and cool zone temps ?

how exactly are you measuring the temperatures?
..... show us the thermometer .

Exactly what is her UV SOURCE ,
brand ?
type = compact , T8 , T5HO or MVB ?
%uvb rating ?
wattage ?
in a reflector dome or hood ?
on top or under the lid ?
how old is the uv source ?
how far from the basking spot ?

Light schedule.
Feeding schedule and diet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
wenren":xce9c3ks said:
Hey guys, glad to have found the board.

We got our bearded dragon in November, and she lives in a 40 gallon tank. On one side of the tank is her UV and heating lamp, and the other side is just normal.

Our issue is that she'll get in the cool corner and just stay there. She won't go bask, she won't eat, and she doesn't poo. If I pick her up and move her to her basking rock, she will eventually go eat , but then it's back to the corner.

I've read up on brumation, but she's under a year old and it's been going on for at least a month now. <<< should not be allowed to brumate in her first winter.

We feed her complete nutrition pellets <<< exactly what brand ?

, and 30 large crickets about every 10 days.
<<<< not an adequate diet by a long shot ...
TOO SHORT A PHOTOPERIOD (lights are not kept on long enough each day , will make beardie think it is winter , recommend at least 14 HRS PER DAY)

FEEDING SCHEDULE (I recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)
>>> when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ?
>>> when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ?
good guide is here : http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutritionframeset.html

Suppliments used ?
is the calcium powder vitD3 fortified ? == use with caution.
Potential risks are hypervitaminosis D3 (from excessive ingestion of vitamin D3) and inability to metabolise dietary calcium leading to a buildup of calcium in your beardies blood (hypercalcemia).

the calcium powder vitD3 fortified ? == use with caution.

basic Feeding schedules :

hatchlings
three feeds of live appropriate sized insects per day as many as they want per session offered a few at time if it's hoppy or fast moving
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it).

Juveniles (6 months to 12 months)
two feeds of insects per day
+ offer fresh high calcium greens daily (might not eat it)

Good staple insects
>> BSF maggots
>> blowfly gents
and the pupae and flies , great for hatchlings and juveniles , naturally rich in calcium
>> silkworms
small (1-1.5 inch for sub 3 month olds)
medium (1.5 - 2 inch for larger hatchlings and juveniles)
large ( > 2 inch for beardies older than 12 months.
>> crickets / roaches / locusts , must be gutloaded with calcium rich foods and greens & dusted LIGHTLY with calcium powder.

Repashi GRUBPIE is acceptable as a backup food.

Hard and soft pellets are dubious , ok mixed in as softened croutons through their greens/salad (maybe).

Bites = rubbish food.

It takes her a while to get up and get the crickets, she doesn't do it as fast as she used to. She gets calcium on her pellets about every week.

Any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. This is our first "beardie", and I want her to have a good life!

wenren

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, guys. That's a lot of information to take in, apparently there is a lot I'm doing wrong that could be causing her to have problems. I will take pictures and measurements tomorrow, but you guys gave me plenty to change about how I care for her. Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom