Bearded dragon becomes aggressive when outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elise

Hi, everyone! I just got my bearded dragon Lewie almost a month ago, and I'm a little fed-up with something. The first two weeks I've had him he's been perfectly well-behaved. I take him outside to poop and he usually does his business and soaks in some rays and then I put him back in his enclosure with no problems at all. This past week, however, he's become very skittish whenever I take him outside, and he's tried to run away from me multiple times (good thing I bought a leash!) He puffs-up his beard at me, turns black-bearded, and gapes, and won't let me pick him up. I've had to use a towel because he's almost hurt himself escaping from my grasp and falling. Also, he's blackened his beard at my family once this week. I want to take him out often but not when it's so difficult to do! What is going on with him?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He's had a fright while outside and he remembers it , he's acting up because he's terrified out he's not feeling secure out there.

... best to cut the outside adventures for now and let him have floor time inside instead in a safe area in the house. My gang love exploring the kitchen + dining area + lounge floors and if they poo on the carpet (not a big deal - a piece of damp paper towel to pick up the poo , and squirt with F10SC diluted 1:125 sorts that out and keeps things smell and germ free) and he'll feel much more secure inside than outside.

Elise

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2jm2wto8 said:
He's had a fright while outside and he remembers it , he's acting up because he's terrified out he's not feeling secure out there.

... best to cut the outside adventures for now and let him have floor time inside instead in a safe area in the house. My gang love exploring the kitchen + dining area + lounge floors and if they poo on the carpet (not a big deal - a piece of damp paper towel to pick up the poo , and squirt with F10SC diluted 1:125 sorts that out and keeps things smell and germ free) and he'll feel much more secure inside than outside.
Thanks for the answer! That never crossed my mind-- but it makes perfect sense! I'll give him a break from the yard for now.

Casir141

My guy gets so spooked when an air plane flys over. In his head it probably feels like a bird or predater coming for him and he freaks.

Mysty

Juvie Member
A nice way of introducing him outside is to put out some basking furniture/hides from the viv.

Elise

Original Poster
Casir141":1oomid02 said:
My guy gets so spooked when an air plane flys over. In his head it probably feels like a bird or predater coming for him and he freaks.
And I tend to have a lot of planes fly over my house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom