Beardie Noctural Antics

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Anyone else got a beardie who wakes up about 1am and wants to watch tv or come out for snuggles ?

Toothless recently (in the last few weeks - with the change of season) has returned to his night owl habits from when he was a very little hatchling when he often woke up to midnight raid on the greens and any crickets he missed during the day would be found nibbling on the greens so he'd snack on them (very noisy in a quiet of night with the tv turned down and lights mostly out (only light coming from the laptop and tv screens).

He wakes up with the birds / first light about 4am , and the lights are on 6am and he's nearly always found on his basking spot ready for the lights and wide awake.
He'll stay up til about 3pm , diner time for him and Peppa and the BTs, and will demand a bit of floor fun time (two speeds , warp 10 trot with tail in air like an antenna , and stop , planning his next move and looking for new mischief).The basking for an hour or 90min and he's off to bed.

Tonight is typical, only lights are my laptop on the coffee table and the TV and despite the tv being "muted" , I use a wireless headset to listen at night so my wife isn't disturbed by my night owl ruitine, he's been awake since about 1am and he'll stay on in bed bit peaking out watching me and the TV or the movies on the laptop til I go to bed.

He also has a very active brain when asleep , he often twitches toes, the tail, changes position , sleep crawls.... yes dreaming , his eyes will be closed while this happens.

There I was thinking he had grown out of this over 12 months ago, he's now about 22 months old ....
always expect the unexpected when it comes to complicated mega spoilt critters with smarts who get a lot of mental stimulation like pet skinks and dragons.

I'm sure he's not the only nocturnal beardie around.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Well seems this is Toothless' new thing , wakes up about 1:30 - 2 am ever night , crawls about and if he sees me he has a bit of a scratch to try to get me to get him out , I tell him "go back back to bed" and "no I'm not getting you out" , and seems to accept this acknowledgement and goes back to sleep.
It's become a bit a ritual over the last few weeks since we have the on set of spring (my blue gum came in flower).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Interesting. I wonder if it does have to do with the seasons. It sounds like he's a light sleeper naturally anyway. My guys have been the opposite. Darwin is usually grumpy and slow to wake up in the morning and after an active day is ready for sleep before his lights go out most nights. He'll often just kind of hit a wall at some point in the afternoon and go under the couch or chair to fall fast asleep. He doesn't budge when I move him back to his tank for sleep.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless has always been real livewire , a force of nature , still is .

I think I created a monter by getting him out and giving him snuggles to settle him when he suddenly woke up a few times from "nightmares" and was scared and wanted to get out and me to rescue him.
Discovered he enjoys the snuggles when sleepy , now he has this little routine of waking up and if he sees me sitting infront of the laptop screen or in the dim light from the tv he makes it known he's awake and wants my attention. Bit like a little child . Wakes up early and thinks it's now play time .

Used to be Toothless would retire about 7:30pm (after his fav TV show) and wouldn't stir til next morning, and it was Peppa who was the night owl, often seen peaking out of her hide watching us and the TV well after lights out. Now Peppa rises late , basks for a while, then returns to have a siesta before the afternoon feeding season, and when she goes back in to bask after feeding and a run about or a snuggle (usually a snuggle) she stays up til the lights switch off watching TV and us , and we don't see her move again til next morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom