New Owner. Needs Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
My Beardie was about a month or two old when we got him and I am guessing now he is about 6-7 months old now. The whole time my boyfriend and I have had him I've tried to hold Drako everyday for a small amount of time. He is a very good beardie as the whole time weve had him hes never been aggressive. Never puffed up, or been mean. Though we are only able to hold him for a short amount of time until he squirms and gets out of our hands. Hes not exactly nice about his squirming as I've got quite a few scratches on my hands/arms/wrists from him. I have tried that when he squirms to gently keep hold of him until he stops and then let him down to explore. But i always feel bad after because he freezes up and doesnt act himself so i will stop that. We have his cage in our room, hence that is where he is unless its bathtime. So he immediately jumps out of our hands and runs to the edge of the bed to jump down. I've beardie proofed the room once and let him jump down and explore to his desire but he really only walked around a tiny bit then stood frozen and didnt move for a bit. Worried i put him back in his enclosure and haven't done it again since.

Im not really sure what is normal, he doesn't seem to enjoy being held. Reading other forums I've tried to leave my hand in the enclosure with him to see if he'll climb onto me, he doesn't. It almost seems like he doesnt enjoy coming out of his enclosure and when he does, he just wants to run away. I dont know how to make him happier with coming out to be around us. Or how to get him to trust us, cause usually when hes back in his enclosure hes giving us the evil eye and watching our every move.

He eats out of our hands, and now we hold him above the feeding tub for crickets. So he stays in our hands while he eats. Ive had him sleep with me at night a couple times now. It just doesnt seem like he fully trusts us or even really likes us. And i want him to be happy, healthy, and loving. I just don't know what else to try.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's just a bit more of a live wire, he'l settle down a bit when he's older. Keep doing what you're doing [ but don't let him sleep in your bed, a couple dragons have died that way ] Let him explore on the floor and if he freezes, that's O.K too. Once he sees that nothing is going to happen to him he should settle down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom