Beardie too stupid to bask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my bearded dragon was recently moved into a new habitat, maybe a few weeks to a month ago. he doesn't seem to know where his basking spot is. he tries to bask, eg he pancakes out and sits there for quite a while, but he's just not in his basking spot. he's usually close to it, but JUST out of the direct spot of heat. I've moved his basking bulb to where he used to sit but he's still just outside of it. any suggestions?

Savora

Hatchling Member
Hi! What are the temps of the basking spot? Maybe the little guy just thinks it's too hot and is choosing to bask a little bit out of the way of it. Maybe try getting the temps of the basking spot, and then the temps of a few inches away (or wherever your beardie is choosing to bask). They should have a pretty good instinctual compass when it comes to overhead heat sources. I can sometimes see my beardie choosing to bask a few inches away from her basking spot, and then directly under it at other times. She usually chooses to be directly under it when after a big meal or a bath.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Check your basking spot's temperature ACCURATELY.

Most likely he is avoiding it because it's way to hot there for him.

Note that an adult beardie's head can be 3 - 4 inches closer to the basking globe than the basking spot's surface is and if the basking spot is right at the voluntary maximum temperature temp , his head is maybe several degrees hotter so in the avoidance temperature range , see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516

LizardHands

Original Poster
his lights aren't on right now but they are usually around 100-109 right in his highest possible basking spot. he has a rock lower down that is also right below his light, but I only catch him on there occasionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom