Beardie dislikes carpet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Apologies if this should be in the Enclosures forum!)

My little Bandit still has stress lines, almost four weeks after bringing her home. (S)he is a leatherback, around twelve weeks old, and was kept on loose substrate in the pet store where I got her. Now I have her on dark green Komodo reptile carpet. Her UV setup is perfect and her temps are as good as I can make them (basking spot around 35c, cool side ~30c). She eats bugs very well: up to 40 small phoenix worms a day, and 10-20 2nd molt crickets (dusted on alternate days with calcium/vitamin powder). She doesn't eat greens/veg much yet though. Occasionally drinks from the bath. Active, loves to climb and sit on my shoulder. She has a bit of an eye infection, but that's clearing up with veterinary supervision.

When I take everything out of the tank to give her crickets, the stress lines fade. Therefore, I've thought that perhaps there's something in the viv she doesn't like/is scared of. I've tried removing various bits of furniture, no improvement.

Today, on a whim, I put newspaper in as substrate instead of the reptile carpet. The stress lines have faded a little.

Is it possible that Bandit just doesn't like reptile carpet? I have quite a bit of spare linoleum (kitchen flooring), so could I cut that down for use as substrate instead?

Mysty

Juvie Member
Beardies generally dislike changes to the viv. I'd suggest keeping all decor the same for a week to see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom