My baby dragon is scared

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have had Shinobi for 2 weeks and she (we think) is 3 months old ish. The set up is perfect, it was put together by hand at the reptile zoo here in Australia and she was raised by them. The thing is, she flinches every time there is movement or if I try to go near her.

She wont eat in her enclosure but eats the correct amount of crickets in a feeder box. I am able to hand feed her her vegies but other than that, she tries to wriggle away from me and escape on the way to the feeder box.

I am the only one who is able to hand feed her which is fine. I just worry she is going to be a sketchy dragon for life? Or will she settle down? She is wary of everything and everyone.

I appreciate any advice you can give!!

At two weeks, she could still be stressed from the relocation. If your setup is good, she should warm up to you in time and settle down.

Could you describe the setup, please? Temps, UV, et cetera :)

Shinobismum

Original Poster
daughterofMyou":yb1zhvqx said:
At two weeks, she could still be stressed from the relocation. If your setup is good, she should warm up to you in time and settle down.

Could you describe the setup, please? Temps, UV, et cetera :)

I hooe so too.
Her daytime basking temp is between 35 c and 40 c with the proper UV for her size tank I am told by the reptile zoo, which I am unsure about the size but its very large for her size atm! She will def grow into it. She also has a purple night lamp as its still cold here so it stays around 20 c at night on one spot. She has a basking hammock, 2 kinds of substrate, one oine chip, the other a small bark. Also a hiding rock and a large natural branch. As well as water bowl and grazing bowl.

Thanks for your help!

Shinobismum":3ik518we said:
Her daytime basking temp is between 35 c and 40 c with the proper UV for her size tank I am told by the reptile zoo, which I am unsure about the size but its very large for her size atm! She will def grow into it. She also has a purple night lamp as its still cold here so it stays around 20 c at night on one spot. She has a basking hammock, 2 kinds of substrate, one oine chip, the other a small bark. Also a hiding rock and a large natural branch. As well as water bowl and grazing bowl.

A few things:
I'd remove any and all loose substrate from the tank. It's very easy for a beardie to eat the chips/bark/sand by accident, potentially causing digestive problems and impaction. Newspaper works as a temporary substrate, so you can use that until you can get something more permanent (like reptile carpet or ceramic tile).

Any light at nighttime will disturb a dragon's sleep - especially coloured light. Even if the bulb's box says it's okay, it's not. This could be what's stressing your beardie out. If the tank temp falls below 18c at night, I'd suggest picking up a ceramic heat emitter (and thermostat). They give off heat but no light, which is good :)

Lastly, even though the zoo people set up the tank for you, I'd ask that you list the measurements and UV setup here anyway :) It's not uncommon for store employees and such to give out incorrect information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom