Both eyes closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClintStevens

Hey, new to this form, don't really know where to post this but I really wanted to ask for advice. My beardie is 17 years old, I got him when I was 8. I'm 22 now, he was supposedly 2 years old already according to my uncle who bought me him as a b-day present. The past 2 years he's been getting very slow and less active every day. And now it's come to the point where both his eyes have gotten a very small amount of crust on his eye. he no longer opens his eyes. Because of this he no longer eats, and now, a few days after has stopped drinking water as well. I really don't know what to do for the poor guy. I've had him for almost my whole life and I've never had a problem with him till now. Every day when I wake up I annoy him a bit just to make sure he's alive. Is there anything I could do? Would a vet even be able to help me at this point? I really don't want to give up on him but... maybe it's time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow 17 years is a great run! I don't hear of many being that old. You must be taking great care of him and giving him a fantastic life. Thank you for that.

If he's not eating or drinking, you may want to offer a slurry or some baby food via plastic syringe or dropper on his nose to lick up. I've had good luck offering squash, green beans, and sweet potato baby foods. If he doesn't lick the slurry after a day or two, you may want to try opening his mouth gently and being a bit more insistent. Not too much as to cause a lot of stress but try to get something into his belly, especially for hydration.

As far as the crusts go, you may be able to rinse his eyes using plain saline solution. I've found that the curved dental irrigation syringes allow you to rinse eyes with enough pressure to get crust and mucous buildup out. I just ordered a pack from Amazon for a few bucks because my guy has a stuck shed around one of his eyes.

I don't think a vet would be able to do much at this point so I would focus on keeping him comfortable and try to get some food and water into his system.

I'd love to see some photos of him and learn more about his setup and how you've cared for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Regarding the eye issues, crust around eyes ==> conjunctivitis , this requires medicated eyedrops or an medicated eye ointment , a good herp/reptile vet can help here , but swabs are probably a good idea to identify if the cause is due to
>> photoconjunctivitis (due to the current UV globe or tube)
what kind of uvb light globe or tube do you have , brand, wattage, %UVB, and now is installed and how close can get to it ?

>> bacterial conjunctivitis
>> viral conjunctivitis
tell difference between bacterial and viral conjunctivitis
Tears – viral has more tears than bacterial
Discharge – bacterial is more pus-like <== the crust around the eyes sound like symptomatic of pus which has dried around the eyes and glued the eyelids together.
>> fungal conjunctivitis .... likely best seen by a vet.
<<<< have you tried washing his eyes with sterile salien or sterile distilled water to see if he can open his eyes after the crust and pus has been gently washed away ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I had to break up my long post , the BD.org glitch is sending a lot of my posts to limbo tonight (again).

This might help work out why he's not eating (apart from because he cant use his eyes which are glued shut with crusty pus or because they hurt) : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

You may need to syringe feed him or hand feed him , maybe some one else here who has had experience dealing with the care of a geriatric bearded dragon will pipe up , I started a thread here
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236027&p=1814716#p1814716 with the aim of trying to draw together keepers who have very old beardied dragons and to make it easier for folks to get access information (is pretty hard to find good information on their care online).

There is guidance on how to use a feeding needle and feeding syringe to get food into sick reptiles who are unable to feed , a thread here deals with this and shows the technique : viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

As already stated : he's had a super run and it sounds like he's had a great life and been extremely well cared for and he's really loved.

I don't any reason why a good reptile / herp vet can't treat your old male and help make him more comfortable for his remaining time , he could still have a few more years in him . You should certainly discuss his current health issues and possible treatments and his prognosis with your reptile/herp vet and weigh up what his potential quality of life will be like (ie will he be suffering pain and discomfort) .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":2ivcjcoh said:
Wow 17 years is a great run! I don't hear of many being that old. You must be taking great care of him and giving him a fantastic life. Thank you for that.

If he's not eating or drinking, you may want to offer a slurry or some baby food via plastic syringe or dropper on his nose to lick up. I've had good luck offering squash, green beans, and sweet potato baby foods. If he doesn't lick the slurry after a day or two, you may want to try opening his mouth gently and being a bit more insistent. Not too much as to cause a lot of stress but try to get something into his belly, especially for hydration.

As far as the crusts go, you may be able to rinse his eyes using plain saline solution. I've found that the curved dental irrigation syringes
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Disposable-Curved-Utility-Syringe-12ml-50pcs-Dental-Endodontics-Monoject-/182151618169?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368 like what you mean .... I might get some too .... would be handy to have in my lizard firstaid kit.

allow you to rinse eyes with enough pressure to get crust and mucous buildup out. I just ordered a pack from Amazon for a few bucks because my guy has a stuck shed around one of his eyes.

I don't think a vet would be able to do much at this point so I would focus on keeping him comfortable and try to get some food and water into his system.

I'd love to see some photos of him and learn more about his setup and how you've cared for him. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I wonder if a daily dose of vet quality liquid calcium and something like HerpaBoost would give him a pick up ,as well a keeping him warm 24/7 to help boost his metabolism and immune system.

ClintStevens

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Thanks for all the wonderful advice, i just wanted to let you know that he has unfortunately passed away. Thanks for all the advice tho, I wish I had posted this sooner and maybe I could of made him healthy again... he passed away the same night I posted that topic and didn't bother to look back till now. I'm sorry to have to give you bad news. It made me really happy to see you guys care so much and give me so many solutions.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
RIP old boy....

he certainly had a great innings .... 17 yrs. I was probably just his end - off - life symptoms.

If he passed away peacefully and without suffering in his sleep, he went with great dignity, we can all only hope to have such an ending. I know you will miss him and he's left a very big hole in your life , I bet you have many great memories of his character and quirks , which will be cherished.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's such a great long life. You must have given him great care and many fun times. He was a lucky dragon for sure =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom