Holding beardie trying to escape hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hi,

Is there a way to calm down a beardie when being held? I adopted a 2 year old around 6 months ago, not like he doesnt like being held, he does, but after a min he will try to jump off. He will squirm, wiggle, and jump off my hands. I always grab him correctly, so thats not a problem. He is just REALLY curious outside his viv. During the day I cant make him sit still for more than a min before he starts jumping off the couch/hands and explore and hide somewhere and sleep. I love my beardie to death but any way I can practice handling him? Be able to hold him for more than 40 seconds? I never actually let him jump off my hands, he can jump off the couch, its only a one foot drop with soft carpet so he lands perfectly and smooth everytime. One time he did jump off my hands (im 5'8), landed right but sounded like it hurt. Dumb beardie he is lucky he has an owner that loves him to death.
93594-5202835118.jpg

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like he just has lots of energy and curiosity (as you said), and wants to run around and get into mischief :blob8: when he's out of his viv, so he gets bored with being cuddled really quick. Maybe you just need to make sure the room is beardie-proof and let him run around on the floor until he gets tired. :blob5: :blob8: :| :sleepy2: Then he might tolerate being cuddled for a little longer. Also, you could try bedtime cuddles right after you turn off the heat lamps for the night, in a dark room or with very dim light, and he will probably go to sleep, and you may be able to cuddle him for a while longer than usual :love5: and then put him back in his viv when it's time for you to go to bed.

I hate to scare you, but do be careful about protecting him from falls. If he squirms out of your hands when you're standing to your full height and falls to the floor, that could be enough of a drop to injure him severely. :cry:

PS He's very pretty -- beautiful coloring. :D

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1ah83kiv said:
It sounds like he just has lots of energy and curiosity (as you said), and wants to run around and get into mischief :blob8: when he's out of his viv, so he gets bored with being cuddled really quick. Maybe you just need to make sure the room is beardie-proof and let him run around on the floor until he gets tired. :blob5: :blob8: :| :sleepy2: Then he might tolerate being cuddled for a little longer. Also, you could try bedtime cuddles right after you turn off the heat lamps for the night, in a dark room or with very dim light, and he will probably go to sleep, and you may be able to cuddle him for a while longer than usual :love5: and then put him back in his viv when it's time for you to go to bed.

I hate to scare you, but do be careful about protecting him from falls. If he squirms out of your hands when you're standing to your full height and falls to the floor, that could be enough of a drop to injure him severely. :cry:

He is a good boy. Even tho he is dumb most of the times <3. Almost every night is cuddle night :D if its warm in my room i just lay him on my chest with lights off and watch a movie, or if its chilly wrap him with a fleece. I just wish he was most of the cuddly kind xD at least during the day, around 6pm every night he starts getting tired and more calm and cuddly. He has fallen only once from my height, and once form my bed. the couch is a really small jump so i let him.

thank you!

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":29e4g6vg said:

I heard a method on taming a beardie to lay still on your hands, that whenever he tries to squirm and escape, to just hold him, not tightly, but enough for him to get tired of trying and eventually stop. I'v done it a few times but I always feel terrible after :/

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I try not to hold our beardie against his will if he doesn't seem to want to be held. I don't want him to think my hands are some sort of a trap. Some people say that trains them to something called "learned helplessness" -- they realize they can't get away so they just give up and sit there and tolerate it, but they're not necessarily happy about it.

Bedtime is a good cuddle time. I've been getting tired and going to bed before reptile bedtime for the last couple of days, so my husband brings me the beardie for his bedtime cuddle. He keeps an eye on us and if we both fall asleep, he take the beardie back to his terrarium and tucks him in for the night. I guess he's got us both really "spoiled", but at least we know we're loved. :love5: :sleepy2:

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SHBailey":1kdej276 said:
I try not to hold our beardie against his will if he doesn't seem to want to be held. I don't want him to think my hands are some sort of a trap. Some people say that trains them to something called "learned helplessness" -- they realize they can't get away so they just give up and sit there and tolerate it, but they're not necessarily happy about it.

Bedtime is a good cuddle time. I've been getting tired and going to bed before reptile bedtime for the last couple of days, so my husband brings me the beardie for his bedtime cuddle. He keeps an eye on us and if we both fall asleep, he take the beardie back to his terrarium and tucks him in for the night. I guess he's got us both really "spoiled", but at least we know we're loved. :love5: :sleepy2:

Yeah I only held him against his will 2-3 times, and just didnt feel right :/. He doesnt get hurt of course, but he just gives up with a semi black beard on him and with a face of "F*** my life" lol. So other than that whenever he tries to escape my hands I just always place him on the floor. My room is beardie safe. At least like 95% of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom