Baby beardie and car rides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! OK so a few weeks ago I thought I would introduce my little "guy" to car rides. I like the idea of him running errands with me. I am a mom of two and want to be able to have him tag along. This way if I don't have down time he will still get time with me. We started with short rides to pick up the kids from school, where he sat in my hand. While he was really relaxed and enjoyed looking out the window while we were parked, me driving with one haND is just not safe. So I set a shirt on the dash and did really well. He would get settled and close his eyes and bask in the window. Once again I started to see all that could go wrong. So eased off car rides and made a yarn harness so he couldn't slip off or get a wild hair while on the dash. Any who for the first few times put the harness on him @ night while he was tired. And he had no reaction just went to sleep. And then through out the next week put it on him and feed him for short periods. He has had no reactions to wearing the yarn. But today in the car it was a long drive and I put him in the little harness because winding roads ( it's 107 where I live and we have no air conditioning so I didn't want to leave him in his tank with out close monitoring of the temp) any who long story for a question. .. he started to gape but would also hunker down off the cloth onto a warmer surface. Is it just he was hot or I'd this a type of uncomfortableness or anxiety? His beared was totally white, norm when he doesn't like something he gets little lines (like baths) I just wasn't sure how to read this.. do I take him down and have him sit in a cooler part of the car or do let him stay on the hot plastic? Or did I just push him too far and freak him the duck out? I don't want to miss step and ruin our little bond. -jill & Igneal

I will try to post a pic... yes I was driving and clicking pics so most are blurry and off center. I swear I was paying attention to the road ;)

Ignealandjill

Original Poster
93618-4063458843.jpg
and this is him today ( the yarn thing isn't heavy he will sit straight up at home and catch all his bugs with out it hindering him. But he just seems stressed... or is he hot and a nutter and keeps going back to the warmer spots making it worse?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
baby beardies and car rides are nice idea BUT very risky for little baby beardie.

Now time for a reality check.

What happens if you have an accident and he gets thrown against something very hard ?
What happens if you have an accident and he gets thrown from the car ? and is terrified and runs away ? (will he survive in the wild or in winter ?)
What happens if someone opens window or door and he leaps out and runs away ?
What happens if he leaps out a window while the car is moving fast ?

Better off leaving home in his viv where he is perfectly safe and happy , he is not a dog , he wont be enjoying the car ride (they are an unnecessary stress).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ignealandjill":3tdcvdaa said:
Hello all! OK so a few weeks ago I thought I would introduce my little "guy" to car rides. I like the idea of him running errands with me. I am a mom of two and want to be able to have him tag along. This way if I don't have down time he will still get time with me. We started with short rides to pick up the kids from school, where he sat in my hand. While he was really relaxed and enjoyed looking out the window while we were parked, me driving with one haND is just not safe. So I set a shirt on the dash and did really well. He would get settled and close his eyes and bask in the window. Once again I started to see all that could go wrong. So eased off car rides and made a yarn harness so he couldn't slip off or get a wild hair while on the dash. Any who for the first few times put the harness on him @ night while he was tired. And he had no reaction just went to sleep. And then through out the next week put it on him and feed him for short periods. He has had no reactions to wearing the yarn. But today in the car it was a long drive and I put him in the little harness because winding roads ( it's 107 where I live and we have no air conditioning so I didn't want to leave him in his tank with out close monitoring of the temp)
<<< simple solutions
, add a very shallow dish with just enough water for him to sit in bit too shallow for him drown in , only needs to be a maybe 5mm deep , this will give him a place to cool off, he might even drink fro
and from the dish if he gets thirsty.
turn off his basking globe while it's too hot
and
open the windows to allow the wind through the house but draw the blinds on the side of the house facing the sun.

This is what people here in Australia who have no aircon do for their pet lizards in heatwaves.

any who long story for a question. .. he started to gape but would also hunker down off the cloth onto a warmer surface. Is it just he was hot or I'd this a type of uncomfortableness or anxiety? His beared was totally white, norm when he doesn't like something he gets little lines (like baths) I just wasn't sure how to read this.. do I take him down and have him sit in a cooler part of the car or do let him stay on the hot plastic? Or did I just push him too far and freak him the duck out? I don't want to miss step and ruin our little bond. -jill & Igneal

I will try to post a pic... yes I was driving and clicking pics so most are blurry and off center. I swear I was paying attention to the road ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom