Abnormal open mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plushiexd

Hey guys! I have a bearded dragon named Ruby and have had her for two years now and she's started doing this thing with her mouth where she leaves it open for an extensive amount of time. Normally I would assume she's regulating her body temp but a little while ago her domes kept going out and her light bulbs blew out so she hasn't had a light for about a month or two now but it's been rather warm in the house and I've been providing her with calcium by putting the calcium powder on her food and been keeping her warm with my body temp or with warm showers. I'm having a hard time replacing her light but in the mean time these are my pontential fixes to the issue. So given she hasn't been in need of regulating her body temp that much it's worrying me how long she has her mouth open for. And the other day I saw her having only half of her jaw open. I've tried to listen in for a clicking sound in case it was a respiratory problem but no sound has been made. I'm really worried about her and am wondering if maybe beardies can get strokes or something i don't know. Please help, what do you guys think it may be? Here's a pic of her with her mouth open on one side. Besides this issue she seems to be pretty healthy otherwise, she walks around a good amount when I put her out of her cage to take walks. She drinks water and poops a healthy amount and eats her dry food and live meal worms normally.
93436-5758228712.jpg
93436-4009714583.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, Ruby is a pretty girl. :) Although it's warm in your house, a basking heat bulb is a must. Warm to us [ 80-82 ] is what the cool side of the tank would be for a beardie, and she needs more than human body heat to thrive. I'd cut out warm showers completely, that is a recipe for a respiratory infection because of the high humidity along with no real hot spot to bask in afterwards.

Her mouth open + puffy beard may indicate that she is developing an R.I already. Please get her a basking bulb, it doesn't need to be a pet store bulb, a better choice is a par 38 halogen bulb you can get [ or similar ] from Walmart or Home Depot.

Plushiexd

Original Poster
Oh nooooo!! My baby! Ah I'll buy her another light in hopes it doesn't blow out again. This would end up being the 5th one or so. ? Oh man, I'm debating on starting to see if there's any other domes that can support a Powersun UV Mercury Vapor 160 W bulb. I've tried checking Home Depot and none of them could support a high enough voltage and none were ceramic based to support the bulb in the first place. ? Will the 38 Halogen bulb emit the right lighting for her?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use these domes from the local farm supply store for my basking lights and they work really well http://www.theisens.com/indoor-lighting/bayco-brooder-lamp-182-sjeo-x-6-fl-302pdq8 They support up to 300w so should be able to handle any light you throw at it. The PAR38 halogen is a good option for a basking light and I use one myself. It will only produce heat and bright light though, no UVB. If you're using a 160w PowerSun, that produces UVB as well. You can use this fixture (or similar) with a PowerSun and it should work well and produce the UVB needed. That bulb should sit 10-15 inches above the basking area for optimal UVB output. It should produce between about 100-105f temperatures across the basking site as well. If it is too hot, raise it up a little but no more than 15'' away. If it's not hot enough at 10'' away then an additional heat bulb may be needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom