Been trying for a while to feed my 2 year old boy greens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I adopted a 2 year old beardie a month or so ago.Everything is going great, he is about to shed so parts of his skin is pale, its crickets/worms just fine, but when it comes to greens, never. Every morning I wake up, turn on his lights so he warms up, and offer him a salad. I change it throughout the week. This morning is a mix of kale, a lil bit of asparagus (raw), romaine and red and green peppers. Every morning I change it a bit so its not the same. But he just never touches it, acknowledges it, or nothing :?: :study:

Sometimes I'll offer him fruits on the salad and hand head, like a little piece of banana, or apple, etc. He licks them but doesnt eat it. Iv put 12-3 worms in the salad but he is smart and only eats the worm as hes passing by the top of the salad, etc.

Been trying for almost 2 weeks straight but to no avail :? . Should I just be persistent and keep trying?
After the salad becomes dry after a few hours, I replace it with a new one (same mix I just save some for later), and when that was is done without being touched, then later I give my beardie dinner of worms/crickets dusted.
Any tips, advice, tricks, to make my beardie Smaug try salad?

93306-8181815413.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like you're doing the right thing. An adult doesn't need a whole lot to eat so it's OK to just offer him salad every day. Sometimes they even like it when the greens get a little crunchy later in the day. Keep trying to get his attention with hand feeding. It may take a while to get him used to it if he didn't have salads available before. Try withholding bugs for a while and only offer salads. He looks nice and healthy so it shouldn't be a problem. Even when he does start eating his salads, only offer bugs once or twice per week. An adult should be on mainly veges so it's a matter of patience and getting through his stubbornness to develop a new eating routine.

starshooter123

Original Poster
CooperDragon":fs4nwlb4 said:
It sounds like you're doing the right thing. An adult doesn't need a whole lot to eat so it's OK to just offer him salad every day. Sometimes they even like it when the greens get a little crunchy later in the day. Keep trying to get his attention with hand feeding. It may take a while to get him used to it if he didn't have salads available before. Try withholding bugs for a while and only offer salads. He looks nice and healthy so it shouldn't be a problem. Even when he does start eating his salads, only offer bugs once or twice per week. An adult should be on mainly veges so it's a matter of patience and getting through his stubbornness to develop a new eating routine.

So, how much on average do you think a 2 year old BD needs of food?
I offer him every evening worms/crickets. Sometimes he will eat 1 or 2, or none. But sometimes he would eat like 5-10 superworms and/or bunch of crickets. Dusted of course. I heard about 70% insects 30% greens? Kinda hard to get to that 30% greens tho. So offer him bugs once or twice per week? He doesnt eat salad, so I feel like I would be underfeeding him :?
Sorry I think I meant 70% salad 30% bugs

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
starshooter123":2odmuwct said:
CooperDragon":2odmuwct said:

I offer him every evening worms/crickets. Sometimes he will eat 1 or 2, or none. But sometimes he would eat like 5-10 superworms and/or bunch of crickets. Dusted of course. I heard about 70% insects 30% greens? <<<< this is very rough guideline and I doubt it is backed by any scientific studies .

Kinda hard to get to that 30% greens tho. So offer him bugs once or twice per week? He doesnt eat salad, so I feel like I would be underfeeding him :?

A SMALL feed of live insects and his greens each day if my approach. 5 -10 supers in a sitting is WAY TOO MANY . Haven't you already been told this by me and others here ... please pay attention.

My adults get 10-12 med crickets / day each + greens .

Wild bearded dragons are opportunistic predators . Mostly eating insects .

starshooter123

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2w3ak1xb said:
starshooter123":2w3ak1xb said:
CooperDragon":2w3ak1xb said:

I offer him every evening worms/crickets. Sometimes he will eat 1 or 2, or none. But sometimes he would eat like 5-10 superworms and/or bunch of crickets. Dusted of course. I heard about 70% insects 30% greens? <<<< this is very rough guideline and I doubt it is backed by any scientific studies .

Kinda hard to get to that 30% greens tho. So offer him bugs once or twice per week? He doesnt eat salad, so I feel like I would be underfeeding him :?

A SMALL feed of live insects and his greens each day if my approach. 5 -10 supers in a sitting is WAY TOO MANY . Haven't you already been told this by me and others here ... please pay attention.

First of all, no, I havent been told by anyone specially from you. I have never had a problem feeding my dragon, sometimes he eats 1, sometimes he eats 6, 10 was an exaggeration. I know when he is done eating, I know because after the last super I feed him, no matter how much I tried to feed him one more he wont eat it, so I take that as he is done eating. My dragon is 2 ish years old, and Im not feeding him large super worms, Im feeding him medium, and I put small ones on the salad to see if he can eat salad. So relax, YOU pay attention here, you changed the topic, 5 is not TOO MANY, and I dont give a crap bearded dragons are opportunistic predators in the wild, they mostly eat insects. HUH??? thats off-topic and you think I dont kn ow they eat insects? Calm your ass and just help a stranger with a bearded dragon question. Jesus.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please refrain from personal attacks. We are here to help the OP, not be judgmental or be condescending.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
starshooter123":2uwtxymy said:
kingofnobbys":2uwtxymy said:
starshooter123":2uwtxymy said:
CooperDragon":2uwtxymy said:

First of all, no, I havent been told by anyone specially from you. I have never had a problem feeding my dragon, sometimes he eats 1, sometimes he eats 6, 10 was an exaggeration. I know when he is done eating, I know because after the last super I feed him, no matter how much I tried to feed him one more he wont eat it, so I take that as he is done eating. My dragon is 2 ish years old, and Im not feeding him large super worms, Im feeding him medium, and I put small ones on the salad to see if he can eat salad. So relax, YOU pay attention here, you changed the topic, 5 is not TOO MANY, and I dont give a crap bearded dragons are opportunistic predators in the wild, they mostly eat insects. HUH??? thats off-topic and you think I dont kn ow they eat insects? Calm your ***** and just help a stranger with a bearded dragon question. Jesus.

:roll: ... i'm done wasting my time on this one ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom