Beardie Nightmares

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so confused. M'Zukahn, my 2.5 month old was sleeping soundly on my chest in the dark and all of a sudden he darted, like ran and when I went to pick him up he ran more. I turned on the light and calmly talked to him, got down to his level, put out my hand, and he let me pet him, but out of nowhere he darted again! He blackbearded for the first time ever too. I got a container he's used to, he jumped in and I put him in his viv where he's fast asleep under his log. He's shedding, could that be why? Do beardies have nightmares? He was in such a deep sleep and bam! He was off!

Chanza

Hatchling Member
Did you happen to make any movements around or near his head? Beardies have a 'third eye' on top of their head which detects movement, he could've also seen a change in light above him, in which he instantly thought it was a predatory bird. Even though they may appear to be sleeping beardies are always alert! :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Contrary to the opinions/beliefs of most , reptiles do dream , and he may well have had a scary dream.

I often see my skinks and dragons twitching tails, while sound asleep.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've seen my guys twitch sometimes even while in deep sleep. I'm pretty sure they have dreams and that's what's going on here as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toothless just had one....

2am : House was quiet (I was reading with only my cree headtorch on - so house was dark) and suddenly Toothless who was sound asleep (went down under his hubba hut onto his nice warmed tiles at 6pm and hadn't moved since , suddenly he was awake and dashed out and scratching at the corner of his monster tub , breathing ready heavy and looking at me .

No BB , just very heavy breathing and obviously wanted my attention, I took the hint and out he came and I placed him on my chest with with t-shirt front drawn over his body only with his head poking out, this very soon settled him.

After about 15mins of snuggles and petting he crawled off me and was wanting to go back to bed , and was asleep with a few minutes of my depositing him infront of his hubba hunt, 1/2 hr later all I can see is his tail and end , he's crawled back in and is now settled again for the night.

I guess he had a scary dream about something, wont be anything that's happened to him since coming here though as a 5 week old as he's never been hurt or had anything scary happen to him (unless he dreams about our very boisterous and noisy 6 yr old grandson - he used to hide from him when he was a really young hatchling.

Of the 4 pet lizards, Toothless is the most active sleeper , he often has dreams , but these usually only involve leg or arm movements to turn arounds or changes in position or tail flicks.
The BTs sleep the sleep of the dead once they nod off for the night, and Peppa generally fights sleep and then hardly moves til she wakes up next day.
The water skinks were much like Toothless , very active sleepers and sometimes had nightmares.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Toothless had another nightmare last night, this one really scared him , he was out from under his hubbahut at about 1.30am and trying to get out of his mega rearing tub up on his back legs and scratching at the corner.
Got him out and gave him a snuggle and spoke reassuring to him and he really seemed to love it, came right up on my cheat and gave me a lovely smooge and beardie kiss on the chin (his first !) and soon was snuggling into me and settled . Back to bed and promptly crawled straight back under his log.
Heard him up again at 5am (first light) and my wife discovered him patiently waiting ontop his log for his lights to come on. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Two guesses what Toothless was dreaming about just now .

... 2am , he's been asleep for hours and he suddenly started doing some headnods while asleep (eyes were closed when I checked), only a few nods, and no BB .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom