My bearded hasn't eaten since I brought home my chameleon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibutan

disclaimer:
my bearded dragon, leopard gecko, and chameleon are ALL in separate enclosures and have NEVER been out at the same time. I wash my hands thoroughly before handling each one, and feeding each one, so that they do not smell the other lizard.

I brought home my chameleon yesterday morning, and my bearded dragon has refused to eat since. My bearded dragon had no problems when i brought home my leopard gecko, and my gecko isn't having any problems with the chameleon, but my beardie is just refusing to eat- even waxworms and hornworms. Will he get over this in time? He still basks and munches on his salad. Is it possible he just doesn't want worms now? Am I overthinking this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they can be sensitive to changes but after only a day I'd think it is coincidence. I doubt a chameleon will cause an issue in the long run though. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

hibutan

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2w1un9wz said:
Sometimes they can be sensitive to changes but after only a day I'd think it is coincidence. I doubt a chameleon will cause an issue in the long run though. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

he is still not eating and it's been 2 and a half days since I brought my chameleon home.
is he maybe just upset that there is another lizard that he can see?

hibutan

Original Poster
CooperDragon":14mxdcb3 said:
It's possible. Are you able to block his view of the chameleon and see if that helps?

Right now I can't because the chameleon is on my dresser on one side of the room, and my bearded is directly across the room. However, I am getting a bigger cage for my chameleon and he will be going into a spot that my beardie can't see within two weeks- my dad has to make the stand and stuff for the chameleon cage. I just hope my beardie will be okay until then. He won't starve himself, right? I mean, he has to eat eventually.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No he isn't likely to starve himself. I think it will be fine. Can you put some paper up on the front of the tank to block visibility and see how that goes? I'm still not sure it isn't just a coincidence but if you can block visibility it's easy enough to test out.

hibutan

Original Poster
CooperDragon":213ht0vu said:
No he isn't likely to starve himself. I think it will be fine. Can you put some paper up on the front of the tank to block visibility and see how that goes? I'm still not sure it isn't just a coincidence but if you can block visibility it's easy enough to test out.

I put up some paper and my beardie was pretty scared of it. he's never had any sides of his glass covered before... im really worried. if he keeps this up i may have to take his poo to the vet to get a exam. he might have gotten pinworms again(he came to me chock full of them 7 months ago)? would that make his appetite less? he's even turning down waxworms and hornworms when before he'd literally leap in the air to try to get them from me when i was putting them into his cage. :?

the chameleon however is fairing just fine. he eats and drinks and explores.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pinworms are a possibility. If you're concerned about them, having a test done is a good idea. It's easy enough to find out and they are pretty easy to treat compared to others.

hibutan

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3w57yk1l said:
Pinworms are a possibility. If you're concerned about them, having a test done is a good idea. It's easy enough to find out and they are pretty easy to treat compared to others.

Bringing his poo to the vet tomorrow to get it tested. Will update and let you know what the results are :)

hibutan

Original Poster
Told the vet about his situation and they recommended i bring him to the emergency vet asap because something else is more than likely going on. im taking him 5pm eastern so i'll update tomorrow on his situation.

hibutan

Original Poster
I've been so busy with Charm that I forgot to update on this.

Well, they ruled out that the chameleon isn't the cause of him not eating, since he's slowly been eating less and less after coming out of brumation.
At most, I can get him to eat less than 5 worms a day unless I offer waxworms, which he usually eats quite a few of but I try not to offer those too much. On days where he refuses to eat much the vet instructed us to syringe feed him baby food+pedialyte mixture. The vet is unsure why he's not eating and told me if things don't improve within three weeks to bring him back in for further testing. He's lost 3 ounces since the last vet visit in february.

As for his food variety,
I offer him daily crickets, superworms, waxworms, hornworms, and black soldier fly larvae.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom