Cross Country Move with the Beardie. Relocation stress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys so I am planning on moving to Boston next month from San Diego. I know I know. I am moving the wrong way haha! But I am excited. The road trip will take a week or so since I will be stopping fun places along the way. I thought it would be best to ship my beardie Spike instead of make him sit in the car with me that whole way. My bf is already living in Boston and has the apartment set up. He was going to buy Spike a new cage so that once he is shipped he will have a place to stay. My questions are:
1. What is best to use for shipping my beardie. He is a little over 2 years old. Should I use reptile express or ship my reptile?
2. Will he be super stressed with this move because of the new environment and new cage? Should I try to keep his old cage to set up after I arrive in Boston or will he already be used to the new one by then?

Any advice to help make this transition more smoothly would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance beardie lovers! :)

-Kelsey and Spike

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....both of those companies have excellent service. I have shipped through Reptiles express years ago. They are only in the box for less than 18 hrs. usually. You can box him up later in the day rather early so he won't be sitting in the warehouse for any longer [ before shipping ] than necessary.
Then you just find out what time you need to bring him in to the fedex shipping center. The box gets delivered guaranteed by 10:30 a.m next day.

Every dragon reacts a bit differently during big changes, but he should be fine.

As to the set up, either way is probably fine.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you do decide to ship him, I would go with one of the reptile shipping services for sure. That said, he may be able to enjoy a road trip. They all react a bit differently so I'd take some test trips around town first. I brought my guy on a road trip to New Hampshire and back last summer (over the course of a week) and he was totally fine and seemed to enjoy quite a bit of the trip. He may be stressed out by the change for a little while but they often adjust pretty quickly so I wouldn't worry about it in the long run.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like it would work too if you could plan it out as a road trip with your dragon traveling with you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom