How to get a beardie accustomed to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dystopoly

I got moxie about a week ago - and she's settling into her tank and seems to be doing really good after some initial moving stress, but the problem I'm having with her now is that she's VERY defensive towards me whenever I try to reach into her tank, even if I'm not trying to go anywhere near her. I can sit in front of her, directly in her face, and she won't have any issues at all - but once my hand tries to reach into her tank she immediately puffs her beard out. She's completely relaxed in her tank otherwise, she doesn't scratch at the glass, walks around at her leisure and even wanders over to her salad a few times a day to eat. I've been slowly lowering my hand in front of her face and stroking her chin a few times daily to try and teach her that I won't hurt her, but she's not really getting any less defensive as time goes on. Is there anything else I can do to try and get her used to me? I've been avoiding taking her out because she's kept scurrying away from my hand when I tried to gently slide my fingers under her (from the front and sides only), but maybe I should be more aggressive about enforcing a schedule of taking her out? I'd really appreciate any advice, as I really want to be able to teach her that she doesn't need to be afraid of me!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Give her some space for now. It may take quite a bit of time for her to get used to you. It really varies from dragon to dragon. Spend time near her tank like you've been doing and speak to her gently. I wouldn't move your hand near her if she acts defensively when doing that. Instead try offering her a treat by hand. Maybe a silk worm or a hornworm. That way she may start to associate your hand with food rather than a threat. Be careful with this to the other extreme too - you don't want her to start nipping at your fingers thinking they are worms =). Give her some time and she'll come around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom