Bearded Dragon not eating and acting hyper after Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibutan

So, my lovely boy, Charm, just woke up from Brumation a couple days ago! He had been brumating for two and a half months so I'm happy to have him back. There's just a couple things I'm concerned about? This is my first experience with brumation so these things may be totally normal and I apologise if that is the case. So first off, he really isn't interested in food. He's eaten like four worms and absolutely no salad the past three days. I ordered some hornworms and waxworms to see if he'd be interested in those, so I should be receiving them tomorrow. They were out of BSFL so I was unable to order those. But back to Charm. He's also been incredibly ACTIVE! Like he's running all over the place and won't sit still. He glass surfs occasionally and enjoys stomping through his salad instead of eating it. He is pooping just fine, although the poop is a little runny, and I'm not sure if that's normal either.

Charm is approximately a year and a half old. I bought him off of craigslist seven months ago and he came full of pinworms! but I took him to the vet and we got that treated so he's pinworm free now.
His bask is about 99-103F and his cool side is 85F.

Thanks for any help I may receive! I appreciate it a lot!

hibutan

Original Poster
Bought some BSFL today from the store and he ate a whopping 1 worm and refuses to eat any more. Ugh. At least my leopard gecko appreciates the new wormies.

hibutan

Original Poster
So today the new worms came in,
and he ate 4 BSFL, probably 6 waxworms, and 2 superworms!!
still not touching his greens but his appetite seems to be coming back which i'm very happy about :D
He's also acting less hyper, so I believe everything is okay now :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Is very unlikely he was in brumation over your summer.

Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

if you work through it methodically , the chances are the likely issues that need to be tweeked or changed will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help.
Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

It may prove necessary to involve a reptile vet if your bearded dragon has serious health issues.
Are you in a position to afford to take him to a good reptile vet should this prove necessary ?
Has a vet seen him ?

hibutan

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2m664gzi said:
Is very unlikely he was in brumation over your summer.

Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

if you work through it methodically , the chances are the likely issues that need to be tweeked or changed will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help.
Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

It may prove necessary to involve a reptile vet if your bearded dragon has serious health issues.
Are you in a position to afford to take him to a good reptile vet should this prove necessary ?
Has a vet seen him ?

Hi! I posted this awhile back and forgot to post another update. Charm is doing just fine now (I hope). His appetite is as ferocious as ever and he's starting to eat his greens again. According to my father, who is quite versed in reptiles, he says that he seems to be fine. But maybe he is wrong, so I'll list out all you asked for.

I recently got a new UVB bulb for him that is mounted inside his tank, and he's perked up with that too- since his old one was six months old. His tank is a 40 gallon breeder (for now. He is 16" so he's still comfortable in it, and he spends a lot of time outside it after he basks after eating, I do plan on upgrading in a few months once I am able to rearrange my room to fit a bigger tank) and he has a 100W Heat lamp that provides temperatures like I said in my first post. His substrate is papertowels since they're easy to clean when he poos! Speaking of his poo, it finally looks like normal bearded dragon poo as well. There is nothing in it and it isn't too runny or anything.
I found that him being hyper was settled by just letting him out to play.

As for the brumation, it honestly seemed like he was in it! He was conked out in his hide for three months, and would occasionally come out to eat and poo, and get a small bath, before going back into his hide. He was parasite free when in brumation, as I read that it was bad to let one with parastites brumate.

His previous owners did not take good care of him at all. He did not have a uvb lamp when I got him, and he was eight months old! So he was very tiny and weak. But now he's pudgy and has grown over six inches in the seven months I've had him. You can view pictures of him on my instagram https://www.instagram.com/krissy_charm_nova/

And for the vet, I am able to take him with no problems. I have a carecredit card that I leave open specifically for my pets. So even if I can't afford it cash wise, I always have the credit card to lean back on. I would definitely take him if he needs a checkup or something. He has been to the vet quite a few times. Twice to get his pinworms treated(he's all clear now and has been for 5 months) and twice for just a regular checkup.

I hope that is enough information!! If not, I can try and give more :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom