Two new Beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to everyone.

I was curious as to what your thoughts are on Bearded Dragons glass surfing. I just recently acquired two Juvenile Bearded Dragons (not sure about the age of either. One is about 6 inches and the other is about 5.) that I plan on keeping in the same 40 gallon tank for as long as possible unless they both end up being males. Norbert doesn't usually stay in his basking area and hides in his little cave while Odahviing basks and runs around a lot. It's too early to determine the sex at the moment. As for eating schedule, Odahviing (who I've had for about 2 days) will scarf down some Dubia Roaches like there's no tomorrow, and Norbert (who I've had for about two weeks) is random. One day he will eat 40 crickets that day, and the next day he won't eat anything.

I've had Norbert longer than Odahviing, and although both of them look quite stressed probably because of relocation, Odahviing loves basking while Norbert usually stays on the cooler end of the tank glass surfing. Should Norbert's behavior be expected since he is probably still going through relocation stress and then was introduced to a new Beardie? I plan on keeping them both in the same enclosure unless they are both males.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
HoleeJuanCanoli":374ztozy said:
Hello to everyone.

I was curious as to what your thoughts are on Bearded Dragons glass surfing. I just recently acquired two Juvenile Bearded Dragons (not sure about the age of either. One is about 6 inches and the other is about 5.) that I plan on keeping in the same 40 gallon tank for as long as possible unless they both end up being males. Norbert doesn't usually stay in his basking area and hides in his little cave while Odahviing basks and runs around a lot. It's too early to determine the sex at the moment. As for eating schedule, Odahviing (who I've had for about 2 days) will scarf down some Dubia Roaches like there's no tomorrow, and Norbert (who I've had for about two weeks) is random. One day he will eat 40 crickets that day, and the next day he won't eat anything.

I've had Norbert longer than Odahviing, and although both of them look quite stressed probably because of relocation, Odahviing loves basking while Norbert usually stays on the cooler end of the tank glass surfing. Should Norbert's behavior be expected since he is probably still going through relocation stress and then was introduced to a new Beardie? I plan on keeping them both in the same enclosure unless they are both males.

Please separate the pair ASAP if not IMMEDIATELY - I can not stress the importance of this strongly enough.
It is very dangerous to keep two bearded dragons in the same small enclosure , even if a M & F or a F & F. Who ever told you this was a good idea was giving you very bad advise , if you are lucky you might get away with his arrangement for a few months without any attacks , but it is very unlikely.

Even as hatchlings , you can have domination issues and bullying especially when there is size difference or one is more outgoing and a more voracious feeder , resulting in the bullying victim (and it need not be physical bullying like biting or fighting) being under continual stress , not getting enough food , not getting sufficient access to heat or the best sleeping spot and failing to thrive while the over grows and thrives.
Inevitably the bullying becomes violent rather than body language , and one beardie winds up viciously attacked and horribly injured ( they are perfectly capable of ripping feet and hands off, ripping legs and arms off, biting tails off and even killing each other by crushing the skull , and it happens very often).

From your description of their behaviours , dominance issues are already in play, so time is of the essence in order to avoid things ending in tears.

If both are housed in their own rearing tanks , both will be stress free , and both will thrive and will be much happier.
Here is how I set up my rearing tubs for multiple young lizards viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480 and I find stacking these types of tubs is very effective as they can't see each other.

Mysty

Juvie Member
I bought two unwanted beardies which came in the same viv. Between 12-18months, one has very obvious bite scars all along the tail. They would sit on top of each other (dominance) and not eat if the other was near.

Within a week we put them in seperate vivs. They are much happier. Yours will be too, and you will not have to deal with the preventable injuries which come from cohabitation.

Good luck.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Norbert is glass surfing because he/she is uncomfortable with the other beardie in the enclosure.
I am repeating this to confirm it is necessary. They must be separated ASAP.

Even if physically there is nothing obvious, mentally it is damaging to them. They are not social creatures, and the only real encounters they have are for mating and then they leave. Please start looking into a second enclosure immediately. Please also keep in mind they both must have adequate room and proper lighting which may mean hefty totals, but it is required in order for them to live properly. A 40g enclosure is the bare minimum for 1 adult bearded dragon.

When you get the second setup, please move the more dominant dragon to the new home. The submissive one will be too scared and will stress a lot more

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
traildrifterphalanx":crk0jsoz said:
Norbert is glass surfing because he/she is uncomfortable with the other beardie in the enclosure.
I am repeating this to confirm it is necessary. They must be separated ASAP.

Even if physically there is nothing obvious, mentally it is damaging to them. They are not social creatures, and the only real encounters they have are for mating and then they leave. Please start looking into a second enclosure immediately. Please also keep in mind they both must have adequate room and proper lighting which may mean hefty totals, but it is required in order for them to live properly. A 40g enclosure is the bare minimum for 1 adult bearded dragon.

When you get the second setup, please move the more dominant dragon to the new home. The submissive one will be too scared and will stress a lot more

I disagree , a 40G (151 L) viv is entirely inadequate for an adult bearded dragon, it is a good size for a juvenile up to about 18 months old.
An 80G viv is barely adequate for an adult.
A 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T viv is a good viv size for an adult bearded dragon.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
The point I was making that this size is inadequate for 2 dragons, let alone 1.
This was not a debate on the proper homing size for a full grown dragon

HoleeJuanCanoli

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2dgenje8 said:
HoleeJuanCanoli":2dgenje8 said:
Hello to everyone.

Please separate the pair ASAP if not IMMEDIATELY - I can not stress the importance of this strongly enough.
It is very dangerous to keep two bearded dragons in the same small enclosure , even if a M & F or a F & F. Who ever told you this was a good idea was giving you very bad advise , if you are lucky you might get away with his arrangement for a few months without any attacks , but it is very unlikely.

Even as hatchlings , you can have domination issues and bullying especially when there is size difference or one is more outgoing and a more voracious feeder , resulting in the bullying victim (and it need not be physical bullying like biting or fighting) being under continual stress , not getting enough food , not getting sufficient access to heat or the best sleeping spot and failing to thrive while the over grows and thrives.
Inevitably the bullying becomes violent rather than body language , and one beardie winds up viciously attacked and horribly injured ( they are perfectly capable of ripping feet and hands off, ripping legs and arms off, biting tails off and even killing each other by crushing the skull , and it happens very often).

From your description of their behaviours , dominance issues are already in play, so time is of the essence in order to avoid things ending in tears.

If both are housed in their own rearing tanks , both will be stress free , and both will thrive and will be much happier.
Here is how I set up my rearing tubs for multiple young lizards viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480 and I find stacking these types of tubs is very effective as they can't see each other.

At the moment, until my new tank arrives, I have them in a 40 gallon tank that is divided right in the middle. They both have the heat and lighting they need as well as the space (for now) since they are relatively small. I kind of figured that having two dragons in the same enclosure would not be beneficial to either of them, and I knew that I would have to separate them regardless if they are aggressive towards each other or not. The day I picked up Odahviing (the new beard) I went ahead and ordered another tank for him since the store there did not having decent tanks in stock.

I appreciate your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom