Don't know how to make him happy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sora7R

I got my bearded dragon in January. It's my very first one. He was a tiny little baby (I think it's a he, I tried checking with instructions from a website but I'm a noob.) Now about 6 months later... I feel like I am doing everything wrong. I always see videos and pictures and stories of how everyone's beardie is lovable and cute. While he looks lovable and cute, I'm pretty sure he hates me and is miserable.

First, he does not like to be picked up still even 6 months later. And he scares me, he will whip around real fast like he wants to bite or something or take off running fast as can be. He hasn't bit me so far but I pull my hand away when he scares me like that. Which I feel like is making it worse because if I'm scared he is gonna feel more scared but I can't help it. :( How badly will it hurt if he does bite me? When I do pick him up, he either stays rigid with his body flattened or he tries to escape my hands and I have to catch him. Since he hates it so much and I don't want him to get lost in my house or hurt, I usually just put him back in his home unless I'm trying to give him his soak, which he also hates. He sometimes, though rarely, will let me just gently pet his head and back, its usually when I'm putting his veggies in. Then, he still doesn't really eat those often, but he has finally started to eat them sometimes. I give him collard greens and butternut squash every day, and sometimes carrots. Then he gets dubia roaches every other day. (I started a colony when I bought him and they are now having tons of babies so at least I got that part right) And every single day he gets Black Soldier Fly Larvae or Nutrigrubs or whatever they are called. One thing he does that is really cute, if I'm across the room at my computer playing a game or something and he wants his bugs, he will start crawling against the tank near me to get my attention until I feed him. I feel like he knows I'm there to feed him and take care of him but he still just is very scared and mean towards me.

I want to know if I am feeding him correctly also?? Is he being fed enough/is he as big as he should be for his age? Should he be eating more veggies at his age? For a while I thought I was doing so well and feeling proud but now I'm not feeling that way.

http://imgur.com/a/wxydY
This is the day I got him...
http://imgur.com/a/txKti
This is him a few weeks ago on the same rock.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks pretty healthy and he's growing pretty well based on those photos. It's good that you're including some veges in his diet. He can still eat mostly bugs until he's around 12-18 months when he reaches full size and his growth slows down. Then you want to transition him slowly to mostly veges with bug meals only a couple of times per week.

When you pick him up are you supporting both feet and hands? They flail if they feel off balance so it's important to support them really well when you pick them up or carry them.

Sora7R

Original Poster
Yes I do! I know that it's not really good to come from above but unfortunately my terrarium thing doesnt have front opening doors. But I still try to stand to the side so I can come from the side as much as possible.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
It could be that he thinks you're gonna put him in that wet stuff again, every time you pick him up! Baths are not manditory and, the only benefit from bathing is if they drink the water for hydration, if they soil themselves and need to be cleaned, to help with a stuck shed or, help with an impaction. So in short, if he doesn't need it don't do it. It is probably stressing him.

Sora7R

Original Poster
Ok I definitely won't keep giving him unnecessary baths then. Thank you for letting me know.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
He looks pretty good to me....

If you are scared of him , he will pick up on that .

I suggest
>> he's going though a hormonal teenager beardie thing ATM , being about 6 months old , so some time out of his tank in a safe beardie proof area in the house to burn up some of energy , keep a t-shirt or towel handy for if he is reluctant to be picked up when his floor fun time is over , more than likely he will when he gets used to being out of his nice safe viv , he will curl up and crash in a corner and be more ameanable to being picked then, if not through the shirt or towel over him and them pick him up with it over him.
>> try placing your open upturned hand in his tank with a buggy / wormy treat sitting in it where he can see it
>> try handfeeding him some of favourite food as a treat every time you pick him up , this helps with bonding , he already knows you are the one who gives him his food , and it will also help get him to associate pickups with something he really likes -- FOOD.
>> he will eventually come around and you'll have a lovely tame and affectionate beardie , it might just take a few more months , or it happen very quickly.
>> if you are scared of being bitten , leather welder's gloves will help. ie http://www.hampdon.com.au/welding-gloves-35cm-high-comfort-leather?gclid=CLTJ4v_W8dQCFRcKKgoddksKvQ

Mysty

Juvie Member
He'll get easier as an adult so don't worry.

Also I have to point out that the title of this post reads like a Cosmo article... sorry!

Sora7R

Original Poster
So, an update... it's been about 2 weeks since I posted the original post. I took all of your advice. Unfortunately, everything seems to have gotten worse somehow. He will no longer let me come anywhere near him whatsoever. He has actually tried to nip me but missed. He won't even let me pet him now, which I sort of thought he somewhat liked before. If I go to pick him up, he flattens out, puffs out his black beard and tries to bite me. So I bought some welding gloves incase he bites me but I'm still terrified when he's acting like this. Haven't been able to hold him in over a week.

He still eats fine and poops daily and all that. I'm not sure why he suddenly became more afraid of me and more... aggressive, I guess the word is?

It makes me feel so sad because I just want to be the best owner I can be to him and I see how calm and sweet everyone else's dragons are but mine is angry and moody and mean...

Sora7R

Original Poster
Mysty":2mtj9dgb said:
He'll get easier as an adult so don't worry.

Also I have to point out that the title of this post reads like a Cosmo article... sorry!

and LOL you're totally right... even my last post, you'd think I'm talking about a husband or something but nope, just my bearded dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom