8 Month Old "Glass Surfing" Help???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurtleTurt89

Hey guys,
Brand new to posting here, but I've read a lot on the forum before and since getting my beardie. I got him as a classroom pet and it has been a wonderful adventure for my students to learn about him and see him grow. I usually bring him home with me on the weekends and he has always done fine. I have a 55 gallon long tank at home with plenty of areas for him to climb and hide in. The hot side of his terrarium is about 90-110F and the cool side is about 70-80F. I just brought him home for summer break and since I have, he has been running around the terrarium a lot more and "glass surfing". When I take him out, he loves to curl up in my neck, hair or be as close as possible and hes super fine and sweet. But not long after I put him back in, he starts surfing again. I don't want him to get the idea that he can always come out because he needs the warmth and all... He is also molting which I know is stressful for him. I've on some forums where it may be moving stress, but he's moved every weekend since maybe last October and done fine. His color always looks bright and happy and he rarely flares his neck.

His poop is good and he eats well. He gets a bit of blueberries, carrots if he will eat them, peas, collards and crickets.

He is my first beardie so I just wanted to get some feedback and ideas on what I could do to help him.

Thanks!!!!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Honestly, just sounds like he wants out.
As much as people call them "just lizards", they're a little more social and curious than people give them credit for.

My male of similar age has learned that I will let him out of he leaves his basking spot and stares at me from the cooler side of his tank, sometimes accompanied with head-bobs. If I continue to ignore him, he'll duck down and start slowly and sadly trying to dig with one claw. It's heartbreaking and always works to let him out. He just wants out so he can look out the window and run around, his tail curled up high. Nothing medically wrong with him :D He'll even return to his enclosure when he wants to warm back up (floor level) and scratch at the door.

They have big personalities and while generally lazy, sometimes they really get a bunch of pent up energy they need to burn off. This happens more often when they're getting hormonal due to age or seasons and have all these feelings and don't know how to react

TurtleTurt89

Original Poster
I think he knows I'll come get him. Lol. I've put him down and he doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. I'll pick him up and he all but jumps to my shoulder and loves to walk around the house that way.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
TurtleTurt89":upx2hjys said:
I think he knows I'll come get him. Lol. I've put him down and he doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. I'll pick him up and he all but jumps to my shoulder and loves to walk around the house that way.

Just as long as you're sure he's secure on your shoulder :) too many stories of dragons falling and getting injured. They all love shoulder surfing. I think it's an ego thing :p

TurtleTurt89

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":2xgx1i1l said:
TurtleTurt89":2xgx1i1l said:

Just as long as you're sure he's secure on your shoulder :) too many stories of dragons falling and getting injured. They all love shoulder surfing. I think it's an ego thing :p

I try to make sure when he does, I'm not walking to quick or doing a whole lot. Most times we will take a tour of the house and sit down while I grade papers or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom