Boys vs girls - the chill factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWINKLET4

I was told that male beardies are a great deal more chilled out, and friendlier than the chicks, and as I was really wanting a super chilled bud,with no egg laying issues, I got my little guy Kush ( although he was only four months old at the time of sexing, and I have heard that you can't be 100% certain at this age).
Anyway I'm now reading loads of information to the contrary, that it's totally the other way round.
I would really love to know what other peoples' experience of this has been. Have you got/had/know of, a super loving, chilled and snuggly male?
Obviously I adore him whatever, but I was just wondering if I should just expect a not particularly chilled out/hands on dragon, although I'm guessing a lot of it comes down to the individual, care etc....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it comes down to individual personality more than anything. I've only had boys so I can only comment on them based on personal experience. They've all had quite different personalities. Cooper was calm and snuggly but very curious and fearless. Dundee was pretty sick so he was a bit more grumpy and aggressive but not all the time. Darwin is off the wall most of the time. Most energetic dragon I've ever seen. He isn't snuggly but isn't aggressive at all. Just kind of too busy exploring to bother with the hoomans but will tolerate limited interaction before he darts off again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, they all have very different temperaments, but after having dragons for over 20 years, the most aggressive have always been males for me. None that weren't able to be handled though.

If you don't know the gender of your beardie you can post a few pics here with his tail arched high in the air [ like a happy dog ]

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Very small sample of two boys.

Puff was only a problem boy when he was megahorny and his uberhormonal , all other times he was super laid back and loved to snuggle and spend time chilling on the lounge next to us (especially if his fav tv shows were on - he was a real tv junky) , his other fav activity was looking out the front window and soaking up the warmth in the sunlight as it spilled through the window in the afternoon.

Toothless is still a work in progress (only 18 months old A.T.M ) and he has his moment when he enjoys a daddy snuggle and a good tickle under the throat and being petted .... he's a real daddy's boy, will only eat for me, and is still a livewire (loves trotting about exploring / investigating very closely everything he sees in "his" home.

TWINKLET4

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the replies guys. It's great to hear of some snuggly/ laid back boys. I love hearing about other people's dragons.
Kingofnobbys- Puff sounds like a real darling, as does Cooper - CooperDragon. I mean they are all darlings of course, but the latter two was what I was hoping for in a dragon.
Kush is just under six months old, and I've only had him for two of those, so there's plenty of time for him to start to really want to be my friend.
AHBD - he was sexed by a pretty reliable source, but as I say, at four months it may not have been be 100% reliable, and she has got it wrong at least once, but that was in the case of mistaking a boy for a girl, which I understand is much more easily done. Anyway, I'll post a pick of his bits ?

TWINKLET4

Original Poster
I've put a few on there besides the one if his bits, because I want to show off about him, because I am SMITTEN with him, and all things dragons. I mean I'm a little bit obsessed.
And before I get the grief....
Yes, he is on hemp, but I have been assured by a most reliable source who has kept dragons on it for 15 years with no impaction problems, that it is absolutely digestible and safe. However I am going to change him to paper towels for the sake of hygiene. I'm careful and spot clean after after pooh pooh, but it could get absorbed into some of it.

The dog absolutely loves him, and the feeling seems to be mutual, but they are VERY, VERY closely supervised at all times. I mean I am really, really careful, ditto the birds ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, he is very handsome indeed. :) Nice red color and perfectly proportioned. If you arched the tail up a bit higher it would show even more to be 100% , but I do believe it's a boy.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
TWINKLET4":31imuntq said:
Thanks so much for the replies guys. It's great to hear of some snuggly/ laid back boys. I love hearing about other people's dragons.
Kingofnobbys- Puff sounds like a real darling, as does Cooper - CooperDragon. I mean they are all darlings of course, but the latter two was what I was hoping for in a dragon.

<<< you'd love Rex (my 5 year old girl who took very ill very suddenly and unexpected and died very quickly about 3 weeks ago), she was a real smooger , loved mommy and daddy snuggles and often played musical humans moving from me to my wife for a snuggle and then back to me again. She was even more affectionate than Puff.
And my little girl Peppa lives for snuggles and doesn't want them to stop , grabs hold of your shirt or top and turns around to come back to you when you try to put her to bed, or to swap humans, she has been a real people beardie from the getgo when we brought her and Toothless home as 5 week old hatchling and loved snuggles from the very first day. If she had her way she would spend all day on daddy or on chilling on the chair next to me.

All my pet lizards (water skinks (two injured wild skinks I rescued) , bluetongue skinks (captive bred) and beardies (all captive bred)) have all become mega affectionate to the extent they follow us around and seek us out for snuggles.

Kush is just under six months old, and I've only had him for two of those, so there's plenty of time for him to start to really want to be my friend.
AHBD - he was sexed by a pretty reliable source, but as I say, at four months it may not have been be 100% reliable, and she has got it wrong at least once, but that was in the case of mistaking a boy for a girl, which I understand is much more easily done. Anyway, I'll post a pick of his bits ?

Looks like a boy to me.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Small sample size, in my case -- only one male beardie and no females for comparison. Ours is pretty much a nice little couch potato (well, actually, you'd probably have to call him a basking platform potato if you wanted to be really accurate :roll: ), but I'm not really sure how much of that is due to his natural personality and how much is due to the fact that he tested positive for adenovirus a couple of years ago, and that may be making him a little more listless than he would otherwise be, although he seems to be holding his own for now.

Except for whenever his DNA decides that it wants to replicate itself. Then we do get the black bearding and head bobbing and glass dancing and general craziness :blob5:, but only for a few hours for a few days usually in the spring, but he's pretty easy to get along with the rest of the time. :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
There's been lots of anecdotal stories here but I'll add mine.

My first dragon was Simon, thought she was a boy, she turned out to be a girl, and she was a wild little baby. As she became an adult she was a lot more calm and very loving, lots of snuggles. She unfortunately passed away recently.

My second dragon is Richter, a boy, and he is like a rag doll. If he were any more chill I'd think he'd be dead. He's still super active and gets really worked up if he sees another dragon and has to defend his territory, but he loves snuggles, is always super gentle, and I give him kisses. Basically as long as he can't see another dragon, he's a little angel. He is only 8mo old, so he may become a jerk around puberty, but so far he's too sweet. May I add, during his "frenzy" state, he has never shown aggression at all, just puffed chin, slapping hand, and head bobs.

My new one is a little girl, Alucard, and just like Simon she has a lot of spunk. She's scrappy and curious and highly active. She tolerates being held but the initial pickup still freaks her out, but she doesn't try to run away once settled. She also likes to snuggle before bed and is generally very sweet. She's about 2 months old.

It's always based on personality, but so far Richter, my male, has been my little biscuit. When I got him he had some mobility issues (all cleared up), so that may have been part of why he's so relaxed.

I also agree from the bum photo, I'd say male

TWINKLET4

Original Poster
Thanks so much guys!
I absolutely love hearing about your dragons.
kingofnobbys":1iqdidi1 said:
TWINKLET4":1iqdidi1 said:

<<< you'd love Rex (my 5 year old girl who took very ill very suddenly and unexpected and died very quickly about 3 weeks ago), she was a real smooger , loved mommy and daddy snuggles and often played musical humans moving from me to my wife for a snuggle and then back to me again. She was even more affectionate than Puff.
And my little girl Peppa lives for snuggles and doesn't want them to stop , grabs hold of your shirt or top and turns around to come back to you when you try to put her to bed, or to swap humans, she has been a real people beardie from the getgo when we brought her and Toothless home as 5 week old hatchling and loved snuggles from the very first day. If she had her way she would spend all day on daddy or on chilling on the chair next to me.

All my pet lizards (water skinks (two injured wild skinks I rescued) , bluetongue skinks (captive bred) and beardies (all captive bred)) have all become mega affectionate to the extent they follow us around and seek us out for snuggles.

Looks like a boy to me.

Kingofnobbys- yes, this is exactly what I was hoping for, mega jel! But chuffed for you. That is amazing that she was digging the snuggles for the off! Sooo wonderful.

SHBailey":1iqdidi1 said:
Small sample size, in my case -- only one male beardie and no females for comparison. Ours is pretty much a nice little couch potato (well, actually, you'd probably have to call him a basking platform potato if you wanted to be really accurate :roll: ), but I'm not really sure how much of that is due to his natural personality and how much is due to the fact that he tested positive for adenovirus a couple of years ago, and that may be making him a little more listless than he would otherwise be, although he seems to be holding his own for now.

Except for whenever his DNA decides that it wants to replicate itself. Then we do get the black bearding and head bobbing and glass dancing and general craziness :blob5:, but only for a few hours for a few days usually in the spring, but he's pretty easy to get along with the rest of the time. :)

SHbailey- a nice little couch potato would be juuust perfect! Good to hear that the craziness isn't too long lived.

traildrifterphalanx":1iqdidi1 said:
There's been lots of anecdotal stories here but I'll add mine.

My first dragon was Simon, thought she was a boy, she turned out to be a girl, and she was a wild little baby. As she became an adult she was a lot more calm and very loving, lots of snuggles. She unfortunately passed away recently.

My second dragon is Richter, a boy, and he is like a rag doll. If he were any more chill I'd think he'd be dead. He's still super active and gets really worked up if he sees another dragon and has to defend his territory, but he loves snuggles, is always super gentle, and I give him kisses. Basically as long as he can't see another dragon, he's a little angel. He is only 8mo old, so he may become a ***** around puberty, but so far he's too sweet. May I add, during his "frenzy" state, he has never shown aggression at all, just puffed chin, slapping hand, and head bobs.

My new one is a little girl, Alucard, and just like Simon she has a lot of spunk. She's scrappy and curious and highly active. She tolerates being held but the initial pickup still freaks her out, but she doesn't try to run away once settled. She also likes to snuggle before bed and is generally very sweet. She's about 2 months old.

It's always based on personality, but so far Richter, my male, has been my little biscuit. When I got him he had some mobility issues (all cleared up), so that may have been part of why he's so relaxed.

I also agree from the bum photo, I'd say male

Traildrifterphalanx- yes, I'll have one Richter please!
I love that you call him your "little biscuit "! ?
Glad that all his issues cleared up.

Well I'm hoping that perhaps as Kush gets older he'll start warming up to me. At the moment I actually feel that he dislikes me. I would happily take 'indifference ' at this stage! He does snuggle up every night and go to sleep, but this inside his blankie, and he's tired, so I'm not getting too excited about that. He still clings on to anything he can for dear life, when I pick him up, but he very often won't get off my hand until I physically move him when I put him back?? He has never really approached me for attention. PPPPLEASE let this change as he gets older! I'm sure it will ?

TWINKLET4

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":30ro0d78 said:
TWINKLET4":30ro0d78 said:

Looks like a boy to me.

Even the wild rescues follow you around?! Wow. How wonderful that you have all that lizard luuuurve ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom