Very social beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My grandniece visited with her mum and dad last night after mum's funeral , and she had heard all about her lizard whisperer uncle and how I've reared skinks and beardies and rescued injured wild skinks and cared for them and how tame they all were.

So I asked if she would like a nurse of one of the bluetongues or the beardies, well Peppa was awake basking an watching / listening so I suggested a nurse of Peppa . She was scared Peppa would bite her , but I explained none of my pet lizards were likely to bite her , and if she gave them a snuggle and petted them they would likely like her and not want to get off her straight away.

Peppa really surpassed my expectation for being social, she was a very good girl and snuggled into my 13 yr old grandniece and even gave her beardie kiss , then crawled up onto her shoulder (at which time I asked she sit on the lounge incase Peppa fell) and snuggled into her under her ear. Look on the girls face was priceless.
Toothless was a good boy too .... he wasn't near as a "friendly" but did show his happy colours for her when she started stroking him under his throat (we all know he LOVES this).

The two blue tongues also got in on the act , as they usually do when we have visitors , and did daddy proud ( giving her a nice snuggle each )

She now wants a pet lizard , so I've told her I'll teach her how to care for the lizards and I explained to her and her parents this is large responsibility and setting up for a pet lizard will be a pricey proposition , and they are not cheap to rear from babies, and no the family pet dog and pet cat will never be friends with pet lizard and great care will needed to protect the pet lizard from them.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So "uncle lizard whisperer" (along with his little family of good will ambassadors) is teaching the next generation how to be good reptile caretakers. Good for all of you. :D

PS Sorry to hear about the death in your family. :cry:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":18xmhwsw said:
So "uncle lizard whisperer" (along with his little family of good will ambassadors) is teaching the next generation how to be good reptile caretakers. Good for all of you. :D

PS Sorry to hear about the death in your family. :cry:

Not been a great month.

Father in law had a heart attack, then his kidneys fail, then he discovers he's got cancer of the bladder.
Rex died very suddenly and unexpectedly.
Mum has a stroke and aspirated some food or vomit and , dies never regaining full consciousness 4 days after my BB discovered her unresponsive in bed after likely having a stroke 24 hrs earlier while in enforced bedrest for an infected leg after a collision with laundry trolley in the nursing home and after a 2 week stay in hospital with an infected leg ( than no one bothered telling me about). All about the same time as Rex died and the FIL was in hospital ....
Because of my bad knee and my mobililty issues after my 3 week enforced bed rest in October I was unable to visit her in hospital or attend her funeral ... needless to say - I'm very sad , it just seems one thing after another lately.... all bad.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
They say that troubles always come in bunches, but your last few months are above and beyond. Hopefully you're due for some better times ahead. I also hope that your cuddly beardies and other lizards can help you feel at least a little bit better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":12tb56ls said:
They say that troubles always come in bunches, but your last few months are above and beyond. Hopefully you're due for some better times ahead. I also hope that your cuddly beardies and other lizards can help you feel at least a little bit better.

They're great , they just seem to know when I really need snuggles and have been a great source of joy and pleasure for me in this hard time, especially Peppa ,and even Toothless has been giving me long snuggles.... The two old BTs are aways uberaffectionate and just like Peppa , can't get enough of snuggles.

Only good thing that's happened this month is the ulcers on my inner upper thighs have finally closed - lot of scare tissue (only took 3 years !!!) - but they no long hurt like the gejezus. Still a few pressure/friction ulcers elsewhere that need healing.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Wow. Open sores on you skin can make you pretty miserable even if you're having a good day otherwise, so I'm glad that's healing up for you.

There was an article in Reptiles Magazine about reptiles as therapy animals and "emotional support animals" -- it isn't just cats and dogs anymore. But then, we lizard people already knew that. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugluvr3
Top Bottom