Young bearded dragon not eaten in 3 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had my dragon for about 3 weeks now and for the first week he didn't eat much and I figured it was because I had one of those compact uv lights after doing some research so I switched to mega mvb and he started doing better but he'd only eat hornworms and butter worms not crickets and not Dubias. But then I realized I had his basking area to close to the mega ray mvb and I re set up his tank completely different with a par 38 floodlight to get good temps ( suggested by member on here thank you) got his basking spot down 12 inches from mvb. Since then he's eaten nothing. Temps are good but I have the floodlight and mvb next to each other and he only goes directly under the flood light. The mega ray is not hot enough by itself. He just basks all day. No food no water. Been like this since I switched the tank. I'm guessing he's not gonna make it if he doesn't eat soon. Suggestions?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What size is the tank? What are the basking surface temps and of the cool side? Could you also fill us in on the type of thermometer you're using? What is the wattage of the Megaray?

Fosterryan

Original Poster
It's a 40 gallon. Basking area is 108 and cool side is 81, I'm using an acurite with probe. Mega ray is 100 watts

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your temps and UVB source are good so I don't think that's the issue. He could have an underlying health issue but that's hard to say without an exam. If he isn't looking well I would try dripping water on his nose and see if he licks it up. If he does then you may want to try doing the same with a little bit of baby food squash or green beans and see if that perks him up at all. Since he's so small I'm not sure if a blood test is a possibility. A fecal test might be a good idea to check for parasites.

Fosterryan

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. Idk what was going on but he ended up just yesterday eating everything I dropped for him. Almost 30 Dubia. Then another 15 later on. Today he's eaten probably 10 on his first feeding and I'll try later. Looks a lot better now.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fosterryan":2l4sb8zu said:
Thanks for the advice. Idk what was going on but he ended up just yesterday eating everything I dropped for him. Almost 30 Dubia. Then another 15 later on. Today he's eaten probably 10 on his first feeding and I'll try later. Looks a lot better now.

:) Love happy endings ....

Probably took a while for his metabolism to get a kickstart resulting a big boost in apetite which is fabulously good news to hear... :) :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

He's well on his way eating you out of house and home now....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Fosterryan":358448yv said:
Hahaha I sure hope so! Love the big appetite it's awesome ! Thanks for the advice everyone

Little hatchlings are fun to watch as they stalk and pounce on those bugs ....

Is quite OK to give the first few of the insects by hand each day = a wonderful way to bond with your little spiky child and gain it's trust .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom