Hyperactive Bearded Dragon with serious separation anxiety

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a 9 month old bearded dragon named Franklin. He's active, curious, and friendly. He's been a great companion! Here is the specs of his cage:

Cage: 67 gallon National Geographic Reptile Cage
Bulbs: Zoo Med PowerSun UV Mercury Vapor Reptile Lamp 160w and Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp
Temps&Humidity:
Hot side: 95 degrees Fahrenheit
Cool side: 82 degrees Fahrenheit
Basking: 103 degrees Fahrenheit
Humidity: 40%

The problem: when I come back after work or class, I notice that he is always dark and underneath his hammock; however, if I take him out when he's like that, he lightens up and seems to be happy to run around a lot. He seems so sad that I have considered having him registered as a therapy animal, so I can take him into my office next year. When people are around his cage, he perks up and seems excited to be around people. I talked to my vet about this and they recommend that I put more stuff in his cage to climb and do stuff, so I did so and not much has changed. What recommendations can you give me to make him happier when I am gone?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I suggest getting rid of the compact uvb. Those bother their eyes, cause appetite and lethargy. And since you have a mvb it's not needed.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Can you leave a TV on for him to watch. They say most dragons like the constant motion and noise. Mine likes the TV.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":2u84djx6 said:
Can you leave a TV on for him to watch. They say most dragons like the constant motion and noise. Mine likes the TV.

I was going to suggest that too ..... my gang all love the TV , even have favourate shows and yes they even do other things when the ads are on....

Mysty

Juvie Member
When you say he is dark do you mean also with a black beard? If not and he is usually under his hammock when you return I would assume that's simply where he likes to go when not around and about or basking.

Its great that he becomes active and inquisitive when you are around, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he is not content when you are not around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom