Beardie keeps jumping up and hitting tank lid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdevron

I've had my beardie for about 4 weeks now, he's 2.5 months old, 9 inches long. Starting yesterday he has started jumping up off his basking rock into the tank lid, repeatedly hitting his head. I have checked the temp of his basking area repeatedly and it ranges from 105-110 degrees, using a probe to take temp. Cooler side of tank ranges from 80-85 degrees. I have had beardie for years and have never seen any of mine do this. Does anyone have any advice as to why he's doing this? I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. Thank you in advance for any help and info.

Diet: crickets, kale, occasionally red peppers, few wax worms here and there

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kdevron":3lvc60k6 said:
I've had my beardie for about 4 weeks now, he's 2.5 months old, 9 inches long. Starting yesterday he has started jumping up off his basking rock into the tank lid, repeatedly hitting his head. I have checked the temp of his basking area repeatedly and it ranges from 105-110 degrees, using a probe to take temp. Cooler side of tank ranges from 80-85 degrees. I have had beardie for years and have never seen any of mine do this. Does anyone have any advice as to why he's doing this? I'm afraid he's going to hurt himself. Thank you in advance for any help and info.

Diet: crickets, kale, occasionally red peppers, few wax worms here and there

OK .... want are the physical dimensions of the tank ?

Could be that he knows that up is the way out ...
or
he may be trying to leap onto the basking light or the UV light .

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Simon used to do this all the time, and I never confirmed why.
Her UVB was mounted inside when she would do this, basking outside, as an adult, she would leap up at the lid and bang, and retry a few times. She did this as a baby as well, including hanging from the screen top upside down a few times. I figured she was likely just "exploring" or "experimenting" as the lid was never an exit or entrance her entire life, and she was a happy little dragon.

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
traildrifterphalanx":3dh2h11c said:
Simon used to do this all the time, and I never confirmed why.
Her UVB was mounted inside when she would do this, basking outside, as an adult, she would leap up at the lid and bang, and retry a few times. She did this as a baby as well, including hanging from the screen top upside down a few times. I figured she was likely just "exploring" or "experimenting" as the lid was never an exit or entrance her entire life, and she was a happy little dragon.
she is like "whoah, there is a force field of some type."
but what i think is she trying to work out them back legs! :) or wha others say trying to escape or trying to find the light. bearded dragons are weird, but i love em :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom