Rarely seen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good girl. They do drink from bowls sometimes. Some need to be trained, some do it on their own.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SpacialCoogs":x6qoezsf said:
I caught my beardie drinking from her bowl! I saved the evidence for posterity, if I hadn't been working from home I would never have seen it.

86279-3122943258.jpg
:shock: :shock: :shock: so that's what it looks like :shock: :shock: :shock:

YoursTruly

Juvie Member
CooperDragon":dyvajt9h said:
Good girl. They do drink from bowls sometimes. Some need to be trained, some do it on their own.

How do you train them to do it? I'd love to know the secret!

Sincerely, Mother of a Stubborn Dragon :lol:

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I take no credit for any training. I provide fresh clean water every morning with her greens. I've seen her drink from it before but it's quite rare.

I agree with Cooper about the water flicking, I've tried that with her and she looks at me funny. She also rarely drinks from her bath but her waste is usually quite hydrated. I expect her to get most of her water from her veg diet (i spritz them with a little water to keep the greens fresh).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've only see my beardie do this once in about 4 years, and it was squash flavored water. I serve his veggies soaking in a little puddle of water so he'll get as much hydration as possible if he eats them (I never give up hope :roll: ), and it also helps them stay a little fresher and not dry out too soon under the heat lamps.

I thought we were onto something so I tried giving him water with little pieces of squash floating in it again, but he only did it just that once. Oh well...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Never saw either Puff or Rex drink from their water bowl when they still had it (their first 12 months), sit in it YES, poo in it FREQUENTLY. LOL

They did love a nice drink given by daddy with the universial household spray bottle, a few drops at a time.

Rex would often amble up to the house skink's water dish when George or Mildred discovered it and were busy drinking it dry --- more curiousity , thinking she was missing out on something yummy (more likely).

Toothless totally ignores the water bowl on floor for the house skink , though he will watch one of bts drink from it (so he knows it's there and what's in it is "good stuff'').

Peppa will amble up and watch my wife refill it and will step in it and taste-test it, but her response is very catlike , urk !!! what is that strange - wet stuff ?...., feet or hands shaking in air like a cat will do if it's feet are wet.... that usually convinces her to leave it alone.

The water skinks (Lucky and Wriggles) adored their water dishes , lots of long drinks, and often drowned everything in sight with their bathplay times - they were hard to keep out of their water dished when in the bath / swim / splash and paddle about mood.
Some with the wild house skinks (also water skinks).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess that's why they're called "water" skinks, huh? :wink:

We use an upside down frisbee for a water dish (evaporation probably helps a little with humidity too, because the indoor air here is usually very dry, especially in the winter), but our beardie doesn't seem to recognize it as anything he can drink. Once in a while he runs through it, and then leaves little wet footprints all over the paper towels on his way back up to the basking platform. That usually happens when he's doing one of his little dances that says either "Get me out of here I have to go to the bathroom" or "Get me out of here I want to run around the house and get into mischief" or maybe even "Get me out of here I want to cuddle", and the frisbee water dish just gets in the way. But I don't think he's ever figured out that there's water in there that he could drink if he was thirsty. :?

He's never used the water dish for a toilet either, but our snake does that on a fairly regular basis -- it's actually easier to clean it up that way -- just dump and wash the water dish.

I get a kick out of Peppa's foot shaking like a cat -- I've never seen a beardie do that. Ours doesn't seem to care if his feet are wet.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":1vbl1c2x said:
I guess that's why they're called "water" skinks, huh? :wink: <<<< I've often seen them in creeks, ponds floating there like nano-crocodiles !!! they love the water. quick flick of their tail and under they go, to bob up minutes later with a little fish, worm, tadpole, water insect, or yabby in their mouth.

We use an upside down frisbee for a water dish (evaporation probably helps a little with humidity too, because the indoor air here is usually very dry, especially in the winter), but our beardie doesn't seem to recognize it as anything he can drink. Once in a while he runs through it, and then leaves little wet footprints all over the paper towels on his way back up to the basking platform. That usually happens when he's doing one of his little dances that says either "Get me out of here I have to go to the bathroom" or "Get me out of here I want to run around the house and get into mischief" or maybe even "Get me out of here I want to cuddle", and the frisbee water dish just gets in the way. But I don't think he's ever figured out that there's water in there that he could drink if he was thirsty. :?

He's never used the water dish for a toilet either, but our snake does that on a fairly regular basis -- it's actually easier to clean it up that way -- just dump and wash the water dish.

I get a kick out of Peppa's foot shaking like a cat -- I've never seen a beardie do that. Ours doesn't seem to care if his feet are wet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom