Surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy2017

My bearded dragon glass surfs a lot during the day. We got the bearded dragon as a class pet through a grant. I am worried she is stressed out. I try to keep my students away from his cage but they are so excited about him. They are all very concerned if she is okay or not. Any suggestions would be great.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How old is she ?

She's interested in what's going on in the class room and wants some attention and probably some OUT-time (to explore and trot about). All mine demand their time on the floor to explore/pratrol about/ check out stuff to "talk" with each other and the other lizards (bluetongue skinks and water skinks). They thoroughly enjoy it as their tails go all curved up into the air (antenna tails LOL) , and they put on their happy colours while on the floor in the living / dining / lounge and kitchen areas. If they miss out on freerange time on the floor for a day or two or three, they are scratching at the front of their tanks and demanding "GET ME OUT NOW" on the 2nd day..

You could put a curtain on a slip rail mounted on a couple pieces of pipe in front of her tank so she can't see the class full of children all day , the curtain drawn and she'll hear the classes but not be able to see them. Will be less disruptive for the children too so more learning will happen.

How often does she get to come out for a run about (under YOUR supervision) ? Is this daily ?

Does she come home with you after school for socialization and snuggles ? or go home with a "trusted" child for the same ?

How large is her tank ?
Photos of her set up .... she might be uber bored stuck in the tank all the time - beardies are intelligent and sensitive creatures who thrive on attention.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
What is the cage like? Does she have enough places in it to feel secure/hidden from all students?

Ziggy2017

Original Poster
I've figured out she really just wanted attention. When she starts "surfing" I get her out and let the students talk to her. She acts happy and content. I then put her back in and she will bask in her light. I have only had her about a week. I think she is about three months old. Is this normal behavior?

roddy

Perfectly normal, beardies like attention and if they are not getting enough they will do what ever they can to get your attention.

However, there are other reasons that they may want to get out of their viv. Check temps are correct, as if its too hot they can also behave in this way simply because they want to get out and cool down.

Also any hidden bugs in the viv can make them want to escape, it may sound stupid but beardies can be scared of bugs, I had one that was petrified of hoppers for example, unless I hand fed them to her.

The advice above about 'run time' is also important, a viv of the right size makes a great home, but just like us beardies need to get out and about from time to time. Make sure she gets enough exercise else her health may suffer. It can also lead to aggression, a friend of mine rehomed an adult beardie that had never been allowed out of his viv. This beardie would try to bite anyone that put their hands in his viv, it took my friend several months to get the critter tame.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
roddy":2gkhgmex said:
Perfectly normal, beardies like attention and if they are not getting enough they will do what ever they can to get your attention.

However, there are other reasons that they may want to get out of their viv. Check temps are correct, as if its too hot they can also behave in this way simply because they want to get out and cool down.

Also any hidden bugs in the viv can make them want to escape, it may sound stupid but beardies can be scared of bugs, I had one that was petrified of hoppers for example, unless I hand fed them to her.

The advice above about 'run time' is also important, a viv of the right size makes a great home, but just like us beardies need to get out and about from time to time. Make sure she gets enough exercise else her health may suffer. It can also lead to aggression, a friend of mine rehomed an adult beardie that had never been allowed out of his viv. This beardie would try to bite anyone that put their hands in his viv, it took my friend several months to get the critter tame.

One reason all my beardies and skinks act up, is when they've been holding on and on and on and are getting really urgent to go to the toilet (they hate soiling their tanks and tubs) , and if it continues and they can't hold on no more they then are stuck with an offensively stinky object in their house and they want it removed IMMEDIATELY.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Ziggy2017":9ao0fzqy said:
I've figured out she really just wanted attention. When she starts "surfing" I get her out and let the students talk to her. She acts happy and content. I then put her back in and she will bask in her light. I have only had her about a week. I think she is about three months old. Is this normal behavior?

Chalking it up to wanting attention runs the risk of anthropomorphising the behaviors, which can lead to missing cues that there is a problem. Dragons (and many reptiles) do not have the social structures that other animals (dogs, cats, some birds, e.c) have that would motivate them for interaction with people. While that doesn't mean they aren't capable of learning to trust and like people and even be gregarious about interaction it should always be considered so that welfare problems aren't overlooked. A baby reptile in a room full of potential predators probably isn't actually wanting to hang out with them. Depending entirely on how interaction with the students goes it could also be scary to her and she calms down from that as opposed to being "comforted".

This is a good read about reptile welfare http://inpractice.bmj.com/content/inpract/35/3/123.full.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom