Beardie not very active or eating? Brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daj

Yesterday I switched my beardie into a larger tank, ever since then she hasn't been eating as much. Now she hasn't fully stopped eating, but is eating very little compared to before. I assume this behavior just has to do with adjusting to the new tank but I just wanted other opinions.

Oh and if it helps she hasn't shown any other behavior changes.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, it can take a week or so for them to adjust to new surroundings....even external changes can trigger it.

joef

Hatchling Member
It is perfectly normal, my beardie will eat a tiny bit or nothing after a cage change, but after a week or so he starts eating again. She will eat again soon just like normal!

Daj

Original Poster
My Bearded Dragon hasn't been very active lately and is eating very little. She sleeps/rests on the cool side of the cage all day and doesn't eat very much. Could should be brumating? Please help I am very worried. :(

Daj

Original Poster
destiny1998":1btsd15c said:
Hi. How old is she? Can you give a rundown of the setup?
She just turned 1 yr old in January. I have a 40gal tank with UVB and heat lights, the basking spot is around 100 while the cool is around 80. I use tiles for the flooring.

If it helps I switched her into a new tank recently (about 2-3 weeks ago). I don't think it would still be affecting her but I don't know.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Thanks for answering. How are you taking the temps? What kind of uvb light? Is it a long tube, coil or compact? How close is it to her basking spot? Do you have a bright white basking light?

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's kind of an odd time to be brumating (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere) but it's possible -- different beardies brumate in different ways at different times. It could also be a little "relocation stress" because of the new tank. I'd say keep an eye on her and continue to offer food and see how it goes. Her behavior sounds like brumation but that's not the only thing that could cause it. If she seems to be losing weight or if you see any other signs of illness, it might be worth a visit to a good reptile vet.

Daj

Original Poster
destiny1998":18xhwuuq said:
Thanks for answering. How are you taking the temps? What kind of uvb light? Is it a long tube, coil or compact? How close is it to her basking spot? Do you have a bright white basking light?
I'm using a digital scan thermometer and tank thermometer. I use a 10.0 13 watt UVB bulb, It is a long tube like light. The basking light is about 1ft and a few inches from the basking spot. I don't have a bright white basking light.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Beardies need a bright white basking light. Just like their real habitat. I bet if you do that she will be come active. You need to put the white basking light and uvb light together so when she basks she will get the uvb and the heat to help with digestion.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A bright white basking light is a good idea. I'd go with a ZooMed Repti Basking spot lamp or a PAR38 halogen flood light which will produce plenty of bright light and heat. You'll need to adjust the height/output based on temperature readings.

For the UVB are you sure about the wattage? The 13w is a compact fluorescent and not very powerful while the 18'' tube is a 15w T8. They need to sit about 6'' above the basking area for best results.

Daj

Original Poster
Thanks for the help everyone! She went to the bathroom and started eating again today! Don't know what caused it but I will for sure listen to all this advice. :D

All great advice. My only addition is they also need the brightest white (kelvin not wattage) to protect their eyes from the uvb. I personally use a 7w led that I got at home depot for $2. It's kelvin rating is 5700 which is excellent. And it also doesn't produce heat in a significant amount so it will not over heat your tank or enclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom