Acting crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuego

Hi I am a very concerned new mom of a 5 year old dragon, who is acting very strange. She is jumping at her screen and hanging there, scratching at the glass like she wants out. She has destroyed he habitat again. Also she puffs up her beard and it's black than she does a head bob thing. I have had her a week and a few days. What the heck is going on? Please help. And I did find her last night crammed under the base board heater. She was freezing.

Stres

Hatchling Member
Fuego":2tx7o5tb said:
Hi I am a very concerned new mom of a 5 year old dragon, who is acting very strange. She is jumping at her screen and hanging there, scratching at the glass like she wants out. She has destroyed he habitat again. Also she puffs up her beard and it's black than she does a head bob thing. I have had her a week and a few days. What the heck is going on? Please help. And I did find her last night crammed under the base board heater. She was freezing.

If you can give full details of your vivarium setup including temperatures at both ends and basking surface temps, how your taking the measurements (digital/dial/ir gun). The brand and uv output % of your lights etc , humidity levels. Basically as much info as you can give and I'm sure some experienced keeper here can help you out.

But they will need to rule out any possible husbandry issues first which is why that info is important.

joef

Hatchling Member
how big is the tank? at that age, you probably want like a 20-30 gallon tank. Eventually you want even bigger

Fuego

Original Poster
He has a 30 gallon tank. I am looking for a bigger tank. He has mellowed out a little. I had him out for about 45 minutes this morning,and he still didn't want to go back in. I know it sounds crazy but he starts his jumping at his screen to get out when the cat is on my lap. Lol

BTW... buying a tank online good or bad idea?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A 5 year old will need much bigger than 20 or 30g. You'll want a full adult sized enclosure that is at least 4'x2'x2'. Building your own is the most economical way of getting one. This is a walkthrough of a popular build https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html. The more space you can provide, the better. You can buy these online from places like K&M dragons but shipping can be expensive due to their size.

joef

Hatchling Member
CooperDragon":45tza4e3 said:
A 5 year old will need much bigger than 20 or 30g. You'll want a full adult sized enclosure that is at least 4'x2'x2'. Building your own is the most economical way of getting one. This is a walkthrough of a popular build https://beardies.dreamwidth.org/2145.html. The more space you can provide, the better. You can buy these online from places like K&M dragons but shipping can be expensive due to their size.

Yes, sorry, i had read it wrong, I read 5 month instead of 5 year. CooperDragon has me corrected tho, and what I did, was i built a cage out of melamine that was 18x19x49 with glass sliding doors.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":3nxm5170 said:

Here in Australia, these are sold made as flatpacks manufactured from laminated MDF. Many people buy them as they only need a screw driver to assemble them and they are cheap to ship as a flat pack.

Worth asking your local pet shop if they have these available as self assemble flatpacks , or failing that any cabinet maker can knock one together in a hour or 2.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
joef":hfq0tjp7 said:
CooperDragon":hfq0tjp7 said:

Yes, sorry, i had read it wrong, I read 5 month instead of 5 year. CooperDragon has me corrected tho, and what I did, was i built a cage out of melamine that was 18x19x49 with glass sliding doors.

I initially read 5 yr old and gasped and thought poor dragon - must be going crazy in such a tiny tank.

I use 100L plastic stackable tubs (with wheels in their bottoms) for my rearing tubs for skinks and dragons. These work well for centrals up to 18 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom