Change of Temperament & Sexual Maturity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarbie

Hi all, I've been referring to this site for a few months now without ever posting until now.

So I've had a bearded dragon called Tony since the last weekend of October. When we got him he was only 4 or 5 inches from snout to tail so we assumed he was at most a couple of weeks old. After a short period of being a little stressed of his new surroundings, he has been really good. Eating well a couple of times a day, looking bright eyed and cheerful and being very playful and active. He poops once or twice a day, typically well formed and solid. He's also grown very well, currently 17 inches and 330gms in weight which I believe is very healthy for a 5 month old dragon.

In recent weeks we've seen a big change from him. He's refusing to eat crickets (which were his staple), and in terms of protein he will only eat roaches. He's also eating far more greens and generally eating way less protein. He's also been a bit moody and occasionally aggressive.

This morning I pulled a sperm plug from his vent. I'd seen it there the last 3 or 4 days but given his age, I'd assumed it was just a bit urate that hadn't washed away. But sure enough, definitely a sperm plug. I was shocked as I'd never heard of this happening on a dragon under a year old. In fact I hadn't even realised he was sexually mature.

Can anyone give me any advice on what is going on with Tony? Is he just maturing at a very quick rate? Is it also possible he is a lot older than we'd thought, he'd just not grown much before we got him?

Is there anything I can do to help him and cheer him up a bit?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Tarbie":1h9obq6j said:
Hi all, I've been referring to this site for a few months now without ever posting until now.

So I've had a bearded dragon called Tony since the last weekend of October. When we got him he was only 4 or 5 inches from snout to tail so we assumed he was at most a couple of weeks old. After a short period of being a little stressed of his new surroundings, he has been really good. Eating well a couple of times a day, looking bright eyed and cheerful and being very playful and active. He poops once or twice a day, typically well formed and solid. He's also grown very well, currently 17 inches and 330gms in weight which I believe is very healthy for a 5 month old dragon.

In recent weeks we've seen a big change from him. He's refusing to eat crickets (which were his staple), and in terms of protein he will only eat roaches. He's also eating far more greens and generally eating way less protein. He's also been a bit moody and occasionally aggressive.

This morning I pulled a sperm plug from his vent. I'd seen it there the last 3 or 4 days but given his age, I'd assumed it was just a bit urate that hadn't washed away. But sure enough, definitely a sperm plug. I was shocked as I'd never heard of this happening on a dragon under a year old. In fact I hadn't even realised he was sexually mature.

Can anyone give me any advice on what is going on with Tony? Is he just maturing at a very quick rate? Is it also possible he is a lot older than we'd thought, he'd just not grown much before we got him?

Is there anything I can do to help him and cheer him up a bit?

Welcome to the wonderful world of hormonal and uberhorny teenage beardies.....LOL .... fear not , you''ll survive and have your nice calm and settled beardie back (eventually)....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 17'' and 330g he still has some growing to do but it sounds like he is growing up quickly and this is normal for him. They are all a bit different. I'll bet he's going to be a big boy by the time he's 12 months old.

Tarbie

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1g0f8gat said:
At 17'' and 330g he still has some growing to do but it sounds like he is growing up quickly and this is normal for him. They are all a bit different. I'll bet he's going to be a big boy by the time he's 12 months old.

Yeah, he's gonna be a big one, for sure. He's slowed down a bit in terms of the speed he's growing in length but he's starting to fill out a lot. I'm guessing he'll be well in excess of 20 inches and 500gms when he's done!

Part of me suspects he's a bit older than we think he is, but then again he was definitely only hatchling size when we bought him!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's possible too. He may be a bit older. He may only grow another couple few inches in length but I'd imagine he will easily clear 500g. Even my skinny little guy is consistently over 500g.

Tarbie

Original Poster
So quick update on this.

Tony is now refusing food altogether. In the space of a week or 2 he's gone from eating anywhere between 10 and 20 roaches a day plus loads of veg to me having to battle to get him to eat 3 or 4 roaches a day. He just seems to have no interest in food at all right now.

He is also very skittish and at times stressed. He also at times has been very keen to explore, when we let him out of his cage he's wanted to search the apartment far more than normal, as opposed to just heading to his favourite spots to chill.

Is this normal behaviour?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes. This is consistent with what I've seen. Best thing to do at this point is give him space to roam and burn off energy. As long as he is active, he's probably just fine despite the appetite decrease.

Tarbie

Original Poster
Thanks for the reassurance.

To be fair, despite the decreased appetite he's still put 15 grams in weight on this week, so I guess we have nothing to worry about!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom