3 year old male scratching at the glass of his terrarium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elainegrover

I can't figure out why my male won't calm down. He has been like this for a week. I have tried everything. I check his temps and they're standard temps. I have taken him out and let him nap but, as soon as he goes back in he starts scratching again. I have given him baths I've tried switching up his diet. Nothing seems to work.

Please help as it is driving me insane.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
In general, scratching at the glass usually means that they either want something outside the enclosure, or else want to get away from something that's inside the enclosure. Does he have the tank to himself or are there any other critters in there with him?

Otherwise, given that he's an adult male and given that it's almost spring (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere), he could just be going hormonal. Have you noticed any black bearding or head bobbing? Are there any female beardies around? He may just be trying to get out so he can find himself a lady friend and make little dragons.

If that's all it is, then you may be able to hold on to what's left of your sanity be realizing that the craziness won't last forever, although I'm not sure how long is typical...

:?: If anyone else has male beardies that go nuts in the spring or at whatever time of year their biological clock is set for (mine did it right around the winter solstice once :roll: ), what's your experience? --how long does it usually go on before they get back to whatever is "normal" for them?

roddy

Other than hormones which is likely a reason for his actions, how often are you handling him? and does he get a run out regularly, beardies do enjoy a decent ammount of exercise, if you have been keeping him in due to cold weather he may just be telling you he wants to stretch his little legs.

elainegrover

Original Poster
I have recently covered the glass in his terrarium to see if that changed anything and it didn't. I do have a Female in a different terrarium but in the same room. They can't see each other but he knows she is there. So It must be hormones. This is the first time he has behaved like this. I usually take him out just so he will stop making so much noise XD. Thank you so much for your replies. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom