Getting my bearded to trust me

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

(I'm sure SO many people ask this but oh well) I have a 2-3 month old bearded dragon, and (for the sake of not saying she/he im going to call him, him. ) his name is Toby, ive been trying to handle him everyday, but some days i fail to do so. But at first i used to hold him and hed be very still and seemed okay with it (or out right terrified) then later on he seemed okay with me holding him, but was very active and would run on my hands , up my arms and being a little brat, but adorable. But lately when i take him out all he wants is back in his tank, when i went to put him back he literally jumped into the glass before i had time to open it. He doesn Want anything to do with me. And hes not shedding at the moment (or that i can tell). He eats from my hand just fine, he actually walks up to my hand when i have food. Or when i take out the tubes to feed him he runs after them and bites at the tubes (absolutely adorable!!) i know I haven't had him for very long so him not trusting me is perfectly normal, but im just wondering if there's anything that should be doing or any tips or trick that i should know to get him to trust me? He's never biten, or puffed out his beard or anything. Sometimes he twitches his tale when i put my hand in, i know not to go near him then. I just want him to atleast be okay with being out of his tank.

nathb1

Hatchling Member
Hi Jennifer,

Do you hand feed him daily? I know in my situation that hand feeding really helped me bond with my beardies. I can pet them in their cage or do anything , and they seem to trust me I even hand vaccuum in their cage and they dont even flinch lol. I do take them daily, and touch them often through out the day or go to their tanks and watch them see what they are doing.

Dixie who is 9 month i can hold her for a bit but she likes to run around or even go back in her cage after awhile.She is not the type to really stay for a long time on me and i respect that so let her be. Just give it time and im sure he will come around.

I love the fact that you can find pretty much everything you need on this site, from health to happiness!!

Thanks for sharing!

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Some dragons take longer to trust than others. But it sounds like your doing a good job working on it. I never really handle my Rankins dragons unless I am cleaning enclosures. All 4 are really mellow. But if you keep working on it your dragon should calm down.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nathb1":7zgigkue said:
Hi Jennifer,

Do you hand feed him daily? I know in my situation that hand feeding really helped me bond with my beardies. I can pet them in their cage or do anything , and they seem to trust me I even hand vaccuum in their cage and they dont even flinch lol. I do take them daily, and touch them often through out the day or go to their tanks and watch them see what they are doing.

Dixie who is 9 month i can hold her for a bit but she likes to run around or even go back in her cage after awhile.She is not the type to really stay for a long time on me and i respect that so let her be. Just give it time and im sure he will come around.

I also use handfeeding as a daily bonding ritual for my young lizards , and have continued it into their adulthoods.

I find from experience that offering food treats and handfeeding (once you gain the lizard's trust) works extremely well in taming EVEN WILD RESCUES.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I envy you Kingofnobbies for living in Australia. I always wanted to work with shingleback skinks. Last I checked though they cost $6000 each.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rankins":3h7dkwvq said:
I envy you Kingofnobbies for living in Australia. I always wanted to work with shingleback skinks. Last I checked though they cost $6000 each.

Á pair of shingleback skinks are something I've love to have , I know people who one or a pair and they reckon they are simply the most wonderful pet.

They don't often come up for sale as babies , usually it's an adult (a surplus male usually) or a old breeding pair. (Last breeding pair I saw advertised was $300 but was too far away, same with a lovely 1month old baby who was for sale for $300 .... :( another in Sydney - a place I refuse to drive to http://reptilesdownunder.com/ads/shingleback-baby/ and I WILL NOT subject a lizard to shipping .)
I prefer to buy to get my dragons as hatchling and skinks as babies.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
They seem like pretty smart reptiles. Every year they try to find the same breeding female. Like they are bonded for life.
$300 is a steal, I really wish Australia would loosen up on exportation laws. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have seen it reported that there are more bearded dragons in the US than in Australia. If Australia lightened up a bit on exportation laws it would reduce smugglers and more reptiles would remain in the wild.
I don't think they should export willy-nilly...only a limited amount to approved experienced breeders in the US. I really doubt it will ever happen though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rankins":3urg92nx said:
They seem like pretty smart reptiles. Every year they try to find the same breeding female. Like they are bonded for life. <<<< studies have shown they actually pair off for life and if a mate is killed (say on the roadside) they will stay by it's side for a very long time and refuse to leave their dead mate.
$300 is a steal, I really wish Australia would loosen up on exportation laws. I don't know if this is true or not, but I have seen it reported that there are more bearded dragons in the US than in Australia. If Australia lightened up a bit on exportation laws it would reduce smugglers and more reptiles would remain in the wild.
I don't think they should export willy-nilly...only a limited amount to approved experienced breeders in the US. I really doubt it will ever happen though.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
That's what I have heard also....
It would probably make captive breeding difficult unless raised to sexual maturity from babies.

thesaraheffect

nathb1":3f42w091 said:
Hi Jennifer,

I've heard this suggestion and I'm wondering if it would work with an adult? I've tried offering our new 10 month old beardie food by hand and he won't have anything to do with it. I don't think his previous owner fed him by hand.

Ash467

I have a 40gal tank with a screen on top that has a hole to grab or feed my baby dragon (I think is a girl). Every time I try to grab her she runs away but sometimes I can get her out and I usually do this just before or right after the lights go off at 8pm. I've been able to put her on my shoulder (as I've noticed she likes being able to be above everything) and she falls asleep. This morning she was scratching at the glass trying to climb so I thought I'd try to grab her and she started to flare her beard at me so I stopped. I recently tried again and she kept running away as usual and then hissed at me which both of these things have never happened before and I've had her for a little over a month. I don't know what I need to do and need help, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom