My beardie runs away and seems scared!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turo

So my beardie is like a month old ive had him for about 3-4 weeks and at first he fine with my hand in the cage and let me pick him up sometimes, but now he seems to panic and run away and idk what to do I've been trying to tame him but it wont work?. HELP MEEEE

Turo

Original Poster
My month old beardie run frantically away a lot of the time when i try to just to pet him i havent picked him up since he started acting this way any advice on what i should do to tame him?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It may just take some time. Be patient with him and if he doesn't want to be handled, don't force it. Try hand feeding him a bit and see if that helps build some trust. Do you see signs of him shedding? Sheds can make them quite moody sometimes and they'll act up or lose their appetite for a bit.

Turo

Original Poster
I mean i dont force him lol i just back off and leave him alone and ive tried hand feeding him and it only happened once and yes he just finished shedding like two days ago

Minimum3

Hatchling Member
It takes time. Dragons are actually prey animals with prey drive. They run away from what they see as danger. Your hand probably looks like a mouth or a claw. Try not picking him up from above but sliding your and palm down under him. Don't hold him or take him out if the viv. Just let him set on your hand. Eventually he won't be scared. You might need to lightly force him in the back if your hand. Just be gentle and patient. ?

Turo

Original Poster
Still my beardie doesn't like me... he keeps flinching away and puffs up tbh im scared he might bite me soon i hand feed him now but that doesnt make it any better

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I would actually offer advice in the opposite direction...

I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but if he's acting afraid and puffing at your hand, removing it is only teaching him that this works to make it go away. If he's going to learn the hand isn't to be feared (beyond food), carefully scoop him into your hand and hold him/cup him if he's fidgety. Hold him for a short moment of time and put him back. Continue this and gradually increase the amount of time you hold him.

If you can, try handling him more at night when he's less energetic and ready to sleep. Considering he is fearful, I would not recommend waking him to hold him. Even now, I will pet my dragons after lights out to basically say "it's only me" before taking them out, just so they don't see shadow masses coming for them.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
traildrifterphalanx":234pu82a said:
I would actually offer advice in the opposite direction...

I don't mean to sound, well, mean, but if he's acting afraid and puffing at your hand, removing it is only teaching him that this works to make it go away. If he's going to learn the hand isn't to be feared (beyond food), carefully scoop him into your hand and hold him/cup him if he's fidgety. Hold him for a short moment of time and put him back. Continue this and gradually increase the amount of time you hold him.

If you can, try handling him more at night when he's less energetic and ready to sleep. Considering he is fearful, I would not recommend waking him to hold him. Even now, I will pet my dragons after lights out to basically say "it's only me" before taking them out, just so they don't see shadow masses coming for them.

That is true, but you should NEVER chase him around the tank. I tried picking him up early in the morning (roughly an hour after 1st meal) when he was calmer, and it seemed better. Late at night (right before lights-out) is also a really good time to handle young and skittish beardies

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
traildrifterphalanx":2rsn3b33 said:

Be careful with this method - there is a thin line between getting them comfortable with touch and teaching them they have no control over avoiding negative situations. (Look up learned helplessness).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom