3 months of non stop glass surfing.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bilbo

Hey Everyone,

Ogo, my baby girl, is a year an a half old now. She's been glass surfing like CRAZY, and I mean CRAZZZZY. She'll glass surf right across to the other side of her tank and right up everything she can climb. She'll stumble, fall, and do it all over again for 11 out of the 12 hours her lights are on.

I'm going crazy listening to her scratch on the glass and everything inside her enclosure, not to mention I have to clean everything up and all her food bowls every 10 minutes... now i just leave them out until i feed her. I understand this is about her!!!!! But DAMN. I don't know what to do, I've tried so many different things!

Shes healthy, her eyes are super alert, her cream orange color is vibrant as hell, and she never has stress marks. When she gets INSANELY glass surfy, I let her run around the floor in my room for an hour or so, or just let her climb around my shoulders.

I've considered that fact she may be wanting to lay some unfertilized eggs, and there is sand in one half of her tank for her to do this. Sometimes she digs but just to make a little bed for herself before she sleeps.

This is driving me nuts, to the point where I finally said "screw it" and turned all her lights off and put a blanket over her tank yesterday at mid day. She didn't move and fell asleep an hour after that for the night.

Please, any input would be great. I don't want to have to deprive her of anything she needs. I'm literally just starting to go crazy between her and my Dog. When Ogo does this, which is all day, I also have to listen to my dog crying all the time because she doesn't like when Ogo's acting anxious or whatever. So I put her outside my room and she scratches furiously at my door....... :cry:

SCRATCHING EVERYWHERE IM GOING CRRAAAaaaaaaaaaAAAaAaaaazzzyyy :/ :banghead:

I'm going to try putting another basking light outside of her tank so that she can run around for quite a few hours instead of just one.

Im aware there are lots of posts just like this one, I guess I'd just like some reassurance that this is normal and hormonal. (didn't mean for that to rhyme but it did, nicely.)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like she may just need to burn off some steam. Can you set up a portable basking light and let her run around a secure room? Maybe she'd like some time in a window sill to look outside. Darwin likes to do that and it usually calms him down a bit. He's been going nuts since about September so I try to keep him out of the tank as much as I can. He tends to calm down in the afternoon but all morning he goes nuts if he's left in the tank just as you're describing.

Bilbo

Original Poster
CooperDragon":is89ul8w said:
It sounds like she may just need to burn off some steam. Can you set up a portable basking light and let her run around a secure room? Maybe she'd like some time in a window sill to look outside. Darwin likes to do that and it usually calms him down a bit. He's been going nuts since about September so I try to keep him out of the tank as much as I can. He tends to calm down in the afternoon but all morning he goes nuts if he's left in the tank just as you're describing.

Cooper, thank you! I'm just in the middle of setting a light fixture up for her so she can wander over to it while roaming my room! As for the window, I never thought about that! But it's been -30 here in northern Canada so sitting close to a window usually gets her pretty chilly this time of year. I'll find a way to set a lamp up near the window perhaps! Thanks for the reply :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah we've had some cold snaps on and off (super mild winter this year so far :( ) too. I put a dog bed on the back of a chair next to the window for Darwin to sit in. If the sunlight is coming through he's pretty good at picking it up and staying warm but I usually pick him up and put him under his basking lamp if he starts to feel cold. Let me know how the portable lamp goes. If she likes it, you could eventually replace it with a MVB so she gets some UVB while she's out as well.

Ipppoi

My 2 year old beardie is a professional glass-surfer, too. He isn't as cray but he is very strong and big, so he gets on top of his hollow log and tries to jump out. He could be going nuts for 10 min but the instant I put him in the windowsill, BOOM. He will chill there for hours. In the summer I leave him because the direct sunlight is warm enough, but in the winter I restrict his window time to keep him the right temp. Sometimes after he's been put back, I'll leave him in there for 40-60 min and then put him in the windowsill again. It's his favorite. He gets excited when he sees dogs outside with their humans.

In the winter I'd have a hot water bottle, hot rice bag, heat pad or a lamp by the window to keep her warm! If she likes the window, if it's possible to set up her tank next to a window she might just stare out all day instead of going ape-**** on you

Does your lizard like water? Mine is obsessed with this pond I put in his tank. It's just a huge water dish. He will jump from his hollow log into the pond and make a big splash. I've considered removing it because he spends so much time in there haha, I started just emptying the water from it sometimes but leaving the pond. He has started glass surfing less since I added that.

Good luck calming your beardie!

Bilbo

Original Poster
Ipppoi":3vqbodnd said:
My 2 year old beardie is a professional glass-surfer, too. He isn't as cray but he is very strong and big, so he gets on top of his hollow log and tries to jump out. He could be going nuts for 10 min but the instant I put him in the windowsill, BOOM. He will chill there for hours. In the summer I leave him because the direct sunlight is warm enough, but in the winter I restrict his window time to keep him the right temp. Sometimes after he's been put back, I'll leave him in there for 40-60 min and then put him in the windowsill again. It's his favorite. He gets excited when he sees dogs outside with their humans.

In the winter I'd have a hot water bottle, hot rice bag, heat pad or a lamp by the window to keep her warm! If she likes the window, if it's possible to set up her tank next to a window she might just stare out all day instead of going ape-**** on you

Does your lizard like water? Mine is obsessed with this pond I put in his tank. It's just a huge water dish. He will jump from his hollow log into the pond and make a big splash. I've considered removing it because he spends so much time in there haha, I started just emptying the water from it sometimes but leaving the pond. He has started glass surfing less since I added that.

Good luck calming your beardie!

Hey there mate!

That all sounds like a some really good ideas. I'm 1000% going to set up a window chill spot for Ogo. Unfortunately, I live in a new modern designed household and it's weird as hell the way they spread out the windows here lol. The best I can do is setting up a dog bed as Cooper suggested. So far, letting her run around for a few hours with a head lamp set up outside of her tank as well, seems to already be helping.

And as for the water mate, Ogo LOVES water, she's been such a good swimmer since she was a wee baby. Although the himidity year round makes it hard for me to have any water bowls of any sorts inside her tank for more than an hour.

Ps. Ogos huge, smart and extremely strong. She literally has tried to jump out of the top of her enclosure too, only to be knocked on her ass again haha. Thanks for the addition to this post, it'll definitely help me out!

Pss. Glad to know I'm not alone lol

Cheers mate!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom