Glass surfing like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meeper

So my beardie is 3 years old and very recently he began glass surfing almost constantly. At first it was ignore-able but it's getting to the point where he's waking me up early every day with it and it'd hard to focus with his claws scraping the glass.

I looked it up and at first thought maybe he's seeing his own reflection, so i put some paper to block the glass but he began scraping at the paper and tore it down to get at the glass. Then i thought maybe he wanted to get out of his cage, so I took him out and bathed him and let him hang out on my bed for a bit and move around, but after a bit he climbed to the window of my room and began to scratch at that funny enough, i don't associate that as the same behavior but still it's funny, as when i moved him from it he didn't go back.

After a bit of him being calm outside i put him back in and within minuets, more glass surfing. I thought maybe it's the temperature, so i turned off the main lights as it was close to them turning off anyway, and he seemed to stop but then started up later that night for a while before going to sleep.

I've had to sort of put him in time out, I have towels covering the glass inside the tank for now so he can't bang on it, he actually was able to find a way past the towels to scratch on the glass before i could fix it so I could get some sleep, but still he just tries to climb over it now and starts banging on the top of the tank, which is much more bearable tbh.

Any thoughts on why he could be misbehaving? It's also annoying because his scurrying around kicks sand in his food and water and i have to change it half a dozen times a day now.

If it's also relevant he's just finishing up shedding, would that cause this? He hasn't shed in quite some time too.

4J6AwDC.jpg

JoshD

Well my first question is how big is your tank, and how big is your beardie. My bearded dragon is 10 months old and I have her in a 40gal tank. I have the same problem with mine scratching at the glass but not near as bad as you're explaining. Mine will scratch and run around but usually quits after a few minutes and goes back to bask, never at night either. From the picture, it looks like your bearded dragon needs more room. A common cause of glass scratching is having an enclosure thats too small, and not having enough space, so thats one thing to think about. Also I have never used sand, therefore no mess, so if he's making a mess with the sand, I'd just advise to take it out and replace with Tile or paper towels, something along those lines. Another common reason is being bored, you can get little toys or make him work harder for his food just to provide some enrichment. Hope this helps!

JoshD

One thing you can do at night is try and make him a little bed, with an old towel, or shirt. At night after his lights turn off, you can place him in the towel and wrap him up. My beardie will stay under a towel all night without moving, so maybe you can get him to settle down if hes wrapped up?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Are you sure "he" isn't a "she"? I noticed how round your beardie was in the other thread. The glass dancing and wanting to dig could possibly mean she is gravid. Something to think about.

What size is the enclosure? What are the tank temps and what type of thermometer are you using? Are you using any light at night?

Meeper

Original Poster
3uWw4jK.jpg

For reference, from what you all are saying size may be the issue. I' don't remember the size of the enclosure, Ill have to buy some measuring tape and do the math tomorrow. [Haha Excuse the mess He's made yet again XD]

As for if Reuben may be female. I did the checks I found online and I didn't see the signs of being a female. Also I had taken him to the vet when he was younger and the vet had said he was most likely male so I never thought to ask again. Also Reuben isn't digging really, just glass surfing, it's just he runs across the tank and over his food dish to get to corners he usually doesn't go into. Is there some other test I could do to check? Also Reuben is 3, wouldn't I have seen this behavior before this?

Also for light at night I use a Red lamp and during the day it's all 3 (Red, White, and UVB) and i use one of the aim thermometer things.

The bed Idea is adorable I may have to try that! haha

JoshD

You need to get rid of those red lights completely, during the day and at night. Any type of light at night will disturb their sleep, and they wont sleep. This could be causing your issue

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The tank does look quite small, maybe a 20 gallon long. If you post the 3 dimensions, we can help you figure out what size it is.

I agree that red lights should never be used as it changes the color spectrum for them as they see everything in red which can bother their eyes. What wattage is the white heat bulb and what brand & type of UVB do you have?

By "on of the aim thermometer things", did you mean you are using a temperature gun? If so, how close are you holding it to the area you're checking?

Females can lay infertile eggs anywhere from about a yr up. Some don't start laying them until 2 to 3 yrs old actually. Some, never lay them but it's still a good idea to consider it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom