Bearded dragon turns black after eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

xangelicamarie

Hey Guys!

I have a bearded dragon, named Merlin. He is approximately 9 months old, we got him when he was just an itsy bitsy dragon front Pet Smart.

Lately, we have been having trouble getting him to eat. He's an extremely picky eater. He has noooooo interest in crickets, or fruits and veggies of any type. He will only really eat mealworms and horned worm... which I know isn't the best for him but it's all he will eat. Lately, we've been trying the super worms... but about 10 minutes after he is done eating - he turns all black.

I was wondering if any one else had this type of behaviour with their beardies. Anyone else have a picky eater like Merlin? Anyone able to break the bad eating habits?

Oh and his tank,

We have a 40 gallon, we have a repti sun bulb for him (2 months old) that does his uva uvb and also immets heat. His basking area is usually around 113 (we have a digital thermometer)

Anything else I should add, me know! Here's a few pictures of our wizard lizard!
90556-3220654540.jpg
90556-2568751667.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they go through picky moods and that's pretty normal. Just keep track of his weight to make sure it's relatively stable (a significant decrease can indicate an underlying health issue). Offer him what he'll take within reason. I wouldn't offer too may mealworms or supers because they aren't all that nutritious and can become addictive to an extent. It may just be a matter of waiting him out. As far as turning black goes, do you mean his beard turns black, or his colors darken in general? When they darken like that it's often because they're basking and trying to absorb more heat/light. If that's the case then he's probably just basking and digesting his food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom