Staring at the wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Beardie has been staring at the wall recently and has been very inactive. He only moves to eat. He just lays there his head resting on the wall, or sometimes he uses his tail to hold himself flat against the wall. I am nearly sure this isn't normal can someone please give me an answer.

JHankyy

One of mine does this as well.. My girlfriend and I recently purchased 2 juvenile beardies yesterday (neither of us has had one before). We were told they grew up together and would be compatible with each other.. We still don't know their sex, but I assume one is male and one is female.. We currently have them in the same housing and figured that once they start getting bigger, we'd either buy 2 new tanks, or just another tank and split them up. She's concerned and doesn't want to split them up... Me on the other hand has read multiple stories about aggressiveness and harming/killing one another to be dominant. One was already bigger to begin with.. And already seems more "dominant" I fear that the smaller guy is not going to have the specific needs in order to grow. Other than that, there hasn't been any sort of hissing, biting, or even any behavior that implies any harm would be done.. It just seems as if the smaller guy/girl is a pushover and the bigger one is an ass. ?

Any thoughts?

StinkyTheDragon

Original Poster
One of mine does this as well.. My girlfriend and I recently purchased 2 juvenile beardies yesterday (neither of us has had one before). We were told they grew up together and would be compatible with each other.. We still don't know their sex, but I assume one is male and one is female.. We currently have them in the same housing and figured that once they start getting bigger, we'd either buy 2 new tanks, or just another tank and split them up. She's concerned and doesn't want to split them up... Me on the other hand has read multiple stories about aggressiveness and harming/killing one another to be dominant. One was already bigger to begin with.. And already seems more "dominant" I fear that the smaller guy is not going to have the specific needs in order to grow. Other than that, there hasn't been any sort of hissing, biting, or even any behavior that implies any harm would be done.. It just seems as if the smaller guy/girl is a pushover and the bigger one is an *****. ?
Sorry never have had 2 Bearides. :(

StinkyTheDragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":r3trshy1 said:
Can you post a photo of how he's sitting? Is he eating well when he is offered food?
I have school so I put food in every morning. This morning was rep-cal adult bearded dragon food so I gave him 10 pellets and in 11 hours he has eaten 1. I don't know how to post photos. :banghead:

StinkyTheDragon

Original Poster
StinkyTheDragon":atqvahcn said:
CooperDragon":atqvahcn said:
Can you post a photo of how he's sitting? Is he eating well when he is offered food?
I have school so I put food in every morning. This morning was rep-cal adult bearded dragon food so I gave him 10 pellets and in 11 hours he has eaten 1. I don't know how to post photos. :banghead:
I think that it's his way of basking as before he starts to stare he scratches the wall to try and get elevated to bask. I put a slanted book and with some help, he went on it until he slid off. I will work on getting something to help him bask. Also, is the long white tube light the basking light or do the red heat lights I have work for basking.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Building a ramp to help him bask is a good idea. You can use flat branches or some driftwood for him to lay on and that should work well.

The long white tube light is the UVB light. That shouldn't have anything like clear plastic in front of it (that will intercept all of the UVB) and it should sit about 6-8'' above the basking area for best results.
I would avoid using a red light completely. For a basking light, you want to use a bright white light. The idea is to imitate sunlight as closely as possible. The ZooMed Repti Basking Spot light is a good choice. You want to set it at a height that provides about 100-110f in the basking area and about 75-80 on the cool side. It helps to have an adjustable lamp stand so you can raise/lower the light to get the right temps. It's also important to have a good thermometer. A digital thermometer with a probe for each side or a temp gun like this are probably your best bets. https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK Once the lighting is all set he may become more active and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom