My Beardie doesn't like to be held.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all beardie owners. I have been facing a problem with my 7-year old since I can remember. He doesn't like to be picked up, whenever I try, I first make sure he is calm by petting him along the spine; anywhere else he doesn't like. Then I slowly slide my hand under his belly only the slightest bit and he jerks away. If I don't go slow and I grab him from the top he squirms around and cuts me. I put him down and he claws at the walls for about 20 mins. I have for most of his life just given him food and water and put minimal effort into a connection, it pains me how stupid I was but I want our last memories to be happy ones. He is 17 inches and has razor sharp claws. I have tried gloves but when he sees them he knows what it means and he gets defensive. Somebody, please help me.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If he isn't used to handling, it may take time for him to adjust so be patient with him. Try hand feeding him some bugs to help him trust you a bit and try holding him in the evenings. Just let him sit on your chest for a while and see how that goes. You're correct in picking him up from underneath and supporting both his feet and legs so he feels nice and stable.

StinkyTheDragon

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1qeujt0o said:
If he isn't used to handling, it may take time for him to adjust so be patient with him. Try hand feeding him some bugs to help him trust you a bit and try holding him in the evenings. Just let him sit on your chest for a while and see how that goes. You're correct in picking him up from underneath and supporting both his feet and legs so he feels nice and stable.
I finally got him to sit on my leg, I noticed that the gloves to him were scaring him so I decided to ignore his claws and try and pick him up. My first attempt failed as he moved away onto his rock. I told myself I would just go for it and if he squirmed I wouldn't let go. It worked he squirmed but I managed to get him onto my leg and stay still without holding him. Thank you for your help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's good progress. If he starts getting used to handling and will sit still you can clip the tips of his nails and/or file them a bit with an emery board so they aren't so sharp. I wouldn't try this until he's pretty comfortable and will sit still in your hands for a while though. Even with a relaxed dragon it can often take several tries and one hand/foot at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom