Two males, two tanks, one bedroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris5449

Greetings all,

I have a situation I can't seem to find already written information on, so I thought I would ask.

My significant other and I recently moved in together, into a home that was new to both of us. Each of us came into our new home with one bearded dragon.

kodi- Male, almost 1 year old. (I'll use all lowercase letters to remind you all he is smaller/younger)
KYLER- Male, slightly over 5 years old. (I'll use all uppercase to remind you all he is older/bigger)

They each have their own habit, with ample hiding spots, privacy, food, water, climbing structures, etc. However, the boys do share a bedroom in our new house. Their habitats are on opisite sides of the room, approximately 8 feet away from one another. KYLER, generally doesn't seem to care that kodi even exists, but kodi bobs, puffs and darkens quite regularly. When we first moved in, KYLER would often wave to kodi's bobbing, would occasionally bob back or simply go somewhere out of kodi's sight. We are now almost two months in, and kodi still freaks out on a regular basis, bobbing, puffing and turning black. KYLER generally doesn't care but will often bask, while staring back at kody. We understand they will never be "friends", but we would like both of them to feel safe, and have a happy, stress free home.

We have tried from day one to be equal and fair to both of them, feeding them at the same time, talking to both of them equally, taking them out equally, not favoring one over the other in any way.

We have put shades/covers on their habitats, to block view of one another, (half the habitat at first, then the entire common side) but we hate to do this, because of the isolation it creates (at least in our minds). We really don't have the space to separate them, and room dividers seem difficult and awkward in the already small room. We don't want to surround all sides of the tanks with scenery or privacy glass laminate (like the frosting that's on bathroom windows) because we love them, and want them to be able to see us living our lives, and be able to see out the window, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how to own two males in one room? Or how to convince them we are dominant, and BOTH of them are non-dominant members of our family (lounge?)?

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything needs clarity. Thanks!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Welcome to the wonderful world of bearded dragons, a mystical realm where things are often not as they seem. A world where, worry, patients, love and, mystery are all part of the average day. Just when you think you have control, guess again because you are now realizing it is not you that has control.... You have become a slave!
What you are wanting to do and, what you need to do are two totally different things. Unfortunately for you, as long as they are in the same room, they need to be isolated. Putting backgrounds on three sides and, putting their vivs on the same wall is one option. NOT letting them see each other is better for both of them, they are NOT social creatures at all. Separate rooms would be the best option.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The big boy will obviously be the one considers himself "THE BOSS", because he is lots bigger than the little boy , and he's a mature adult male.

Allowing two males ( a subadult and an adult ) to see each other will be enough to cause trouble IMO, best if they don't have line of sight of each other or were housed in separate rooms. But since they have no choice but to share a room , the next best solution is to "stack" their tanks .

If the tanks are front opening with solid timber tops this is easy, one tank simply gets put ontop the other , I'd put the little boy in the top tank so when the big boy is on the floor for his walkabout time he can't hassle the little guy if the lower tank sits on the floor.
Alternatively, a visit to a local hardware shop to get some precut (to size) pieces of 1/2"-3/4" plywood and four lengths of threadbar and some washers and bolts and you'll soon have very strong shelving system which has 2 shelves , one for each tank with the lower shelf off the floor , I'd go for 3 shelves, the bottom shelf is going to be handy for other kizard stuff.

if the tanks are stacked, neither boy will be able to see the other when in their tanks, they will kn ow each other is there, but wont have to look at each other , plus you'll be making very economical use of floor space.

And - NEVER EVER let the two boys be out together ....

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kris5449":10n0v89j said:
Greetings all,

I have a situation I can't seem to find already written information on, so I thought I would ask.

My significant other and I recently moved in together, into a home that was new to both of us. Each of us came into our new home with one bearded dragon.

kodi- Male, almost 1 year old. (I'll use all lowercase letters to remind you all he is smaller/younger)
KYLER- Male, slightly over 5 years old. (I'll use all uppercase to remind you all he is older/bigger)

They each have their own habit, with ample hiding spots, privacy, food, water, climbing structures, etc. However, the boys do share a bedroom in our new house. Their habitats are on opisite sides of the room, approximately 8 feet away from one another. KYLER, generally doesn't seem to care that kodi even exists, but kodi bobs, puffs and darkens quite regularly. When we first moved in, KYLER would often wave to kodi's bobbing, would occasionally bob back or simply go somewhere out of kodi's sight. We are now almost two months in, and kodi still freaks out on a regular basis, bobbing, puffing and turning black. KYLER generally doesn't care but will often bask, while staring back at kody. We understand they will never be "friends", but we would like both of them to feel safe, and have a happy, stress free home. <<<< kodi is full of hormones and in the wild would be on the hunt for females and thinking of setting up his own territory, KYLER armwaving at him is simply acknowledging he is there and at present he don't consider Kodi a threat to his alphamaleness. This will change as kodi growns and becomes a mature adult male, I expect you are in for lots of headnodding with very big black beards until they establish who is boss then , KYLER may wind up the subservient male as he will past his prime and Kodi will be into his prime.

We have tried from day one to be equal and fair to both of them, feeding them at the same time, talking to both of them equally, taking them out equally, not favoring one over the other in any way.

We have put shades/covers on their habitats, to block view of one another, (half the habitat at first, then the entire common side) but we hate to do this, because of the isolation it creates (at least in our minds). We really don't have the space to separate them, and room dividers seem difficult and awkward in the already small room. We don't want to surround all sides of the tanks with scenery or privacy glass laminate (like the frosting that's on bathroom windows) because we love them, and want them to be able to see us living our lives, and be able to see out the window, etc.

Does anyone have any idea how to own two males in one room? Or how to convince them we are dominant, and BOTH of them are non-dominant members of our family (lounge?)?

Let me know if you have any questions or if anything needs clarity. Thanks!!!

Kris5449

Original Poster
Thanks to both of you! We have a room divider keeping them from seeing each other now, and are working on either getting the tanks stacked, or possibly building new homes for the two that will be angled away from one another. I'm bummed to hear that there really isn't a way to socialize two males, but it is what it is. We love them, and will do what's best! Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom